Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

Anybody running a CB radio in their Venture?

Search this Thread

Old November 3rd, 2017, 3:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody running a CB radio in their Venture?

Looking to mount a CB radio in my 97 Venture. It is a Galaxy 929, slightly smaller than a Cobra 29, but bigger than the typical mini CB (ex. Cobra 19 DXIV) most travelers use. I have noticed that this radio appears to fit the panel below the HVAC control panel perfectly from a width and height standpoint, but I am not sure if there is enough depth in this location.

Has anyone else installed a CB radio in one of these vans, and if so, what radio/antenna did you use, and how/where did you mount it? Thanks in advance...
Old November 3rd, 2017, 3:39 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Anomaly
Looking to mount a CB radio in my 97 Venture. It is a Galaxy 929, slightly smaller than a Cobra 29, but bigger than the typical mini CB (ex. Cobra 19 DXIV) most travelers use. I have noticed that this radio appears to fit the panel below the HVAC control panel perfectly from a width and height standpoint, but I am not sure if there is enough depth in this location.

Has anyone else installed a CB radio in one of these vans, and if so, what radio/antenna did you use, and how/where did you mount it? Thanks in advance...
I wouldn't use a CB radio if I could help it. Too much static. Too many high rollers blabbing away when the skip comes in. Limited range. An FMS radio would be a lot better and the antennas are much shorter. Best place to mount any antenna is as high as you can, no matter what frequency your radio happens to be using.
Old November 3rd, 2017, 5:20 PM
CF Beginner

What is FMS? I used to run OTR cross-country, so I know all about the CB Rambos. I plan to try to build a little business with the local truck stop, which is why I am interested in mounting a CB radio for communication. Is FMS the same thing with improvements? I've never heard of it.

I have found that my preferred location beneath the factory stereo/HVAC controls is not going to work, not even close to deep enough.
Old April 17th, 2018, 12:48 PM
CF Beginner

I installed one in my venture. I think it was a cobra. I went out and bought a middle console type compartment for between the seats and had it sit in there. I had to cut a custom hole for it and mount the mounting brackets but it turned out good. Except for the power wire that ran across the floor it was not noticeable from outside the van, which I liked. As for the antenna, they say to mount it as far away from the engine as possible. I mounted mine on the rack on top of the van at the very back. The cord ran in the back window nicely and that was it. Next I borrowed a little device to pair up the antenna with the radio and all was good. Not sure of the name of the antenna but it was a 4 feet high and orange with a coil on the outside. I was gettin out about 4 miles or so I think at times.