Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

AWD Questions

Search this Thread

Old December 26th, 2015, 2:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWD Questions

Hi i have a chance to buy a 04 Pontiac Montana AWD and had some questions it does have some issues but most are easy ones.

Does anyone know how the OBD2 Connector is powered i plugged in my scanner and there was no power coming from the port i know in some GM's it's powered from the lighter socket is it the same with these ?'

Does the AWD system in these vans rely on the ABS at all ? The ABS light is on and i really dont feel like fixing it the owner says the AWD does work.

Also there was a message in the message center that i have never seen in these vans i am including a pic of it any ideas what it is ?

Message Center
Old December 26th, 2015, 4:14 PM
CF Active Member

if you have an abs light on the awd will be disabled,it does rely on the abs system and is part of the awd system.i have a 2005 chevy uplander and there was a bad wheel bearing and my awd was disabled.it even showed up on the instrument cluster that it was disabled.i changed the bad wheel bearing,cleared the abs code and my awd started working as it should.hope this helps.
Old December 26th, 2015, 5:00 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by chevy55
if you have an abs light on the awd will be disabled,it does rely on the abs system and is part of the awd system.i have a 2005 chevy uplander and there was a bad wheel bearing and my awd was disabled.it even showed up on the instrument cluster that it was disabled.i changed the bad wheel bearing,cleared the abs code and my awd started working as it should.hope this helps.
Thanks that's what i thought .
Old December 28th, 2015, 11:25 PM
CF Active Member

Unfortunately I can't tell you what that warning light means, pull the owners manual out of the glovebox and you should be able to find it in there. Yellow ones aren't necessarily so bad but you don't want the red ones.
Old December 29th, 2015, 4:24 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by U.Nanimous
Unfortunately I can't tell you what that warning light means, pull the owners manual out of the glovebox and you should be able to find it in there. Yellow ones aren't necessarily so bad but you don't want the red ones.
From what i can find out it is pointing to low brake fluid ? It is not in the manual my understanding is a lot of times it is tracked down to a bad proportioning valve .
Old December 30th, 2015, 8:31 PM
CF Active Member

Low brake fluid...hopefully that's just because the pads are worn down to the metal otherwise where did it go? Ask the seller how many miles are on the brakes (front and rear; receipts from parts store would show a date, or from a shop should show the mileage).

Hmmm...I wonder if that is why the ABS light is on...

Is that a crack in the windshield?

Last edited by U.Nanimous; December 30th, 2015 at 8:34 PM.
Old December 31st, 2015, 1:38 AM
CF Junior Member

Hi !
The warning light on the tachometer and fuel level sensor (see the picture) - this low brake fluid signal. Reason light coming on was attributed to a faulty proportioning value. Replaced by bled brakes and topped up brake fluid .