Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

Clunk When Accelerating

Search this Thread

Old June 12th, 2014, 9:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunk When Accelerating

I have an 05 Venture that's throwing me a problem I can't tackle. From a dead stop, which is when I have only gotten it to happen, the car will make a pretty harsh clunk coming from the front of the car. I am assuming its the drive line , not sure whether trans or diff. But it mainly happens on an incline. If I accelerate slowly it won't do it all all but under normal accel it will clunk pretty bad. Only once. Can anyone shed some light on this issue on possibly what I should be looking at?
Old June 13th, 2014, 11:02 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Check your CV half shaft assemblies. Hopefully this is your problem as this is a much cheaper fix.
Old June 13th, 2014, 12:17 PM
CF Beginner

OK but what am I looking for, play in the CV shaft? I was possibly thinking some sort of Mount , transmission or engine. Since it happens only on an incline I was thinking it had to be a mount giving it trouble. Possibly rubber corroded on one of the mounts causing it to rock to far backward while on incline and causing it to hit metal on metal and cause the knock. But which one of these mounts are known to cause problems , if any? I will check the CV shafts just to rule it out.
Old June 14th, 2014, 11:22 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Motor/transmission mounts are also a possibility. You have check everything. It could also be a combination of more than one thing.
Old August 1st, 2014, 3:18 PM
CF Junior Member

hello there,

I had a very similar problem with a rattling noise, very difficult to describe. noise first appeared at startup and while driving slowly. Like a crack driveaxle. But driveaxles had no stake
here, nobody could identify the problem, even the foreman Chevrolet - Opel in a big city. and different professionals. the motor mounts and dampers are often implicated.
the vehicle was well on the highway, while crunches were sometimes very sinister at startup.
I rode well 10.000miles for changing the default; I was very afraid for the gearbox; I replaced driveaxles for nothing.

in fact the noise was caused by a wheel bearing; but I never would have thought that rolling can make such a noise. and no one around me.
This may be the default you want.
friendly