Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

Cooling Fan Malfunction & Burned Wire

Search this Thread

Old June 27th, 2019, 11:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling Fan Malfunction & Burned Wire

2001 Chevy Venture Minivan

I am having an ongoing problem for a few years with the cooling fans malfunctioning and vehicle overheating. Seems to be an electrical issue. here's what's happened:

Dec 2016: Van was overheating. I found the passenger side fan wasnt working. And the 4 pin connector for the fan wire harness was burned on the same side. I replaced the fan motor myself and everything worked again.

July 2018: This time A/C wasnt blowing cold. Mechanic reported low freon & high pressures but also the same passenger side fan not working, both fan connectors burnt & light blue wire going to fan relay in fuse box also burnt. He replaced the whole fan assembly, fan connectors & blue wire. Everything worked again for several more months.

March 2019: Again vehicle was overheating and fan wasnt running. This time mechanic reported driver side fan not working. Again he found the same wire to the fuse box burnt. Again the whole fan assembly was replaced. Also the 3 fan relays were replaced. Mechanic stated "if happens again will have to take to electrical shop to further diagnose & get fuse box fixed." And it worked again for a few months then failed again.

June 2019: From then I assumed that maybe the wire burns when the temp gets too high. So I always ran the fans while driving to keep the coolant temp low as possible. This time though the vehicle had been running constantly for about six hours, fans were turned on the whole time. I noticed the vehicle started overheating again. I stopped the vehicle to let it cool, then made it home.

Some days later I tested the fans. I found that when the vehicle is cool both fans run when turned on manually. With the car heated up I turned on the fans at 210F and found the passenger side fan not running. I turned off the fans and let the car continue to run to see if fans turn on automatically. At 233F fans did come on automatically but still passenger side didnt run. I let the vehicle cool and again turned on the fans manually at 150F, again both fans ran. It is evident that both fans are running when the vehicle is cool but the passenger side stops working at some point as the vehicle heats up.

This causes the vehicle to overheat when it isn"t moving enough to get sufficient airflow. At such time the single fan running is not sufficient to cool the engine. The fan fuses and relays remain intact. Apparently at some point as the vehicle heats there is an electrical short that causes a burned wire and one fan to stop running when the vehicle is heated.

It is unclear if the fan motor itself is damaged since it does run when cool. However, the fan motor (or entire fan assembly) was replaced 3x and each time the vehicle ran normally again for some time. I obviously need to fix the electrical issue but not sure if the fan motor will need replacement again.
Old June 29th, 2019, 7:56 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeshaw
2001 Chevy Venture Minivan

I am having an ongoing problem for a few years with the cooling fans malfunctioning and vehicle overheating. Seems to be an electrical issue. here's what's happened:

Dec 2016: Van was overheating. I found the passenger side fan wasnt working. And the 4 pin connector for the fan wire harness was burned on the same side. I replaced the fan motor myself and everything worked again.

July 2018: This time A/C wasnt blowing cold. Mechanic reported low freon & high pressures but also the same passenger side fan not working, both fan connectors burnt & light blue wire going to fan relay in fuse box also burnt. He replaced the whole fan assembly, fan connectors & blue wire. Everything worked again for several more months.

March 2019: Again vehicle was overheating and fan wasnt running. This time mechanic reported driver side fan not working. Again he found the same wire to the fuse box burnt. Again the whole fan assembly was replaced. Also the 3 fan relays were replaced. Mechanic stated "if happens again will have to take to electrical shop to further diagnose & get fuse box fixed." And it worked again for a few months then failed again.

June 2019: From then I assumed that maybe the wire burns when the temp gets too high. So I always ran the fans while driving to keep the coolant temp low as possible. This time though the vehicle had been running constantly for about six hours, fans were turned on the whole time. I noticed the vehicle started overheating again. I stopped the vehicle to let it cool, then made it home.

Some days later I tested the fans. I found that when the vehicle is cool both fans run when turned on manually. With the car heated up I turned on the fans at 210F and found the passenger side fan not running. I turned off the fans and let the car continue to run to see if fans turn on automatically. At 233F fans did come on automatically but still passenger side didnt run. I let the vehicle cool and again turned on the fans manually at 150F, again both fans ran. It is evident that both fans are running when the vehicle is cool but the passenger side stops working at some point as the vehicle heats up.

This causes the vehicle to overheat when it isn"t moving enough to get sufficient airflow. At such time the single fan running is not sufficient to cool the engine. The fan fuses and relays remain intact. Apparently at some point as the vehicle heats there is an electrical short that causes a burned wire and one fan to stop running when the vehicle is heated.

It is unclear if the fan motor itself is damaged since it does run when cool. However, the fan motor (or entire fan assembly) was replaced 3x and each time the vehicle ran normally again for some time. I obviously need to fix the electrical issue but not sure if the fan motor will need replacement again.
A low R-134A refrigerant charge and high low-side pressures is usually caused by a leak and that you have air in the system. It can also be caused by a bad or malfunctioning A/C compressor. In fact, the leak could be coming from the AC compressor. Did the tech repair this issue?