Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

Intermittent problem with power window going up

Search this Thread

Old April 26th, 2009, 7:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent problem with power window going up

I have a 2000 chevy venture that I bought new and I am the only owner. recently the driver's side power window started to fail. The window goes down every time but it will not always go up. I use the button to attempt to put it up but nothing happens. I try it repeatedly and it may take as many as 30 attempts before it goes up. I have avoided using the window becuase I'm afraid I won't be able to get it back up.

Does anyone know if it is more likely to be the switch, the motor or soem other issue I'm not aware of? Any advice is appreaciated. Thank you

Last edited by cstolar; April 26th, 2009 at 7:39 PM. Reason: forgot to add tags
Old May 9th, 2009, 6:00 PM
CF Beginner

I'm having the same problem with mine. I haven't gotten in to fixing it just yet, but I always start at the switch when working with electronics as the process of elimination is the best way to find a problem. I've also heard of a defective or corroded ground somewhere being the cause of this problem, but am not sure.

Will subscribe to the thread and post a solution if I find it on my own, but otherwise will hope for a more complete answer from the geniuses on the forum here!
Old May 22nd, 2009, 7:54 PM
CF Beginner

99% sure it would be the switch.That what it was on mine anyway
Old May 26th, 2009, 10:07 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you all for your input. It was indeed the switch. I got it at RockAuto on the Internet and paid 1/2 of what everyone else wanted (I paid $34 + $4 shipping).
Old May 27th, 2009, 12:31 AM
CF Active Member

Could be the switch yes. I had the same problem with my Astro. It ended up being one of the wires in the flex tube going from the door to through to the van grounding out. Liguid electrical tape did the trick.
Old July 5th, 2009, 2:06 AM
CF Junior Member

Another thing to check for electrical issues like this, ( but not limited to the power windows)is the wire loom under the passenger side rug. There are wires and connectors there and in these vans the rug gets wet and over a period of time, corrosion results and causes all sorts of problems. Also in the winter the problem is made worse by snow and road salt. Cleaning the connections usually solves many of the issues.
Old August 21st, 2010, 8:51 PM
CF Beginner

Had same problem. Turned out to be bad connection where wires plugged to window motor. Drove me crazy trying to find it.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 2:30 AM
CF Junior Member

Would you happen to have a diagram for the wires on the passenger side I would like to check them out on mine an hopefully get mine cleaned off.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 10:40 AM
CF Beginner

According to my Haynes manual: wires to motor are dark blue and brown, wires to right front switch are light blue, brown and tan. Gray wire is for light and black is ground.
Old November 10th, 2010, 11:03 PM
CF Beginner

Thumbs up hotwired it

My driver side power window went down, did not come back up - cold drive home tonight! I pryed up the switch panel in the door (clips are at the front and back of the panel, push in with a flat head screwdriver), tested each of the wires to the switch with a multi-meter (key in access. position, touch each wire at the base of the connector while activating driver or passenger switches) and I thought the results were good. But I really thought it had to be the switch because it wasn't like the motor struggled to go up, there was zero response to the switch.

What worked: hotwired (got a spare piece of wire) the dark brown to the light blue wire (right in to the back end of the connector where the wires go in, connector still attached to the switch). I had tried light blue to dark blue - I smell smoke! Surprised I didn't blow the fuse.
Lastly I disconnected the switch to prevent further unpleasantness while I wait for the new switch to arrive.

Quick Reply: Intermittent problem with power window going up