Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

Jerky engine operation

Search this Thread

Old January 15th, 2021, 6:46 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Photon440
Rather than go through circuit testing on the EGR valve, I just replaced it. Well, it didn't change the problem. So I'm still looking for a solution to the problem of an engine that runs well when cold but jerks on any sort of mild acceleration after it's warmed up for more than five minutes.
Not familiar with your car, but a suggestion. At idle when it is having this issue, can you under the hood accelerate the rpm manually with the cable? Trying to isolate the issue, mechanical, or still a fuel issue. I know you post not dtc.
Old January 15th, 2021, 6:50 PM
CF Monarch

If the issue remains, I'd recommend a compression test.
Old January 15th, 2021, 9:28 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I appreciate all suggestions. Yes, I can manually rev up the engine under the hood by operating the throttle body, it operates pretty normally while not under load. And it seems to idle okay most of the time, it only hesitates/runs abruptly when pulling away from a stop or accelerating while moving slowly. The irritating thing is how it is intermittent; it might go for a whole trip and operate smoothly, and the next start up a few minutes later, it will be bucking like crazy. That's why I examined, and cleaned all the electrical connections even though they looked clean and were tight.

I can't imagine that it's a compression problem, that wouldn't account for the times that it runs normally. And I did double check for vacuum leaks under the hood. I only wish the darned CEL would go on and show a code with an OBDII reader.
Old January 16th, 2021, 7:53 AM
CF Monarch

I appreciate all suggestions. Yes, I can manually rev up the engine under the hood by operating the throttle body, it operates pretty normally while not under load. And it seems to idle okay most of the time, it only hesitates/runs abruptly when pulling away from a stop or accelerating while moving slowly. The irritating thing is how it is intermittent; it might go for a whole trip and operate smoothly, and the next start up a few minutes later, it will be bucking like crazy. That's why I examined, and cleaned all the electrical connections even though they looked clean and were tight.

I can't imagine that it's a compression problem, that wouldn't account for the times that it runs normally. And I did double check for vacuum leaks under the hood. I only wish the darned CEL would go on and show a code with an OBDII reader.
Sounds like something in the gas tank with what you post. You changed the fuel pump, so I would think if there was something floating around in the tank you would have found it.
Old January 23rd, 2021, 11:00 AM
CF Junior Member

Still playing around with it. Thought it might be a worn wire shorting on the 7X crank sensor but that was a short lived cure; again it ran just great for one trip, then next start it ran so poorly that it actually stalled while idling. CEL light came on a few days ago...no codes with three different readers. Light went out. Another symptom - while it bucks and jerks when loading it up in drive (not moving with brakes on) it pulls strong without hesitation when doing the same thing in reverse. So I'm still thinking there's a wire shorting out somewhere with engine movement, just haven't found it yet.
Old March 7th, 2021, 2:18 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Steam or Diesesal? Bent side rods can cause jerky performance. If they have been handled wrong they can get bent
Old April 24th, 2021, 1:25 AM
CF Junior Member

I put the van on hold until the weather warmed up. Thanks to these posts https://chevroletforum.com/forum/ven...00-rpm-101149/ and https://chevroletforum.com/forum/ven...problem-29946/ I was convinced that the 24X front crank sensor was the problem. And it was, it seems. Pulling the harmonic balance was easy, and since the engine mount under there was a mass of rotted rubber I changed that out at the same time. It's running well now and took about three hours, half of which was cleaning road grime.

Thanks to all who chimed in with suggestions!
Old May 27th, 2021, 7:08 PM
CF Junior Member

Just an update, over a month later and the van is still running well after that 24X crank sensor change.
Old September 27th, 2021, 6:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having same kind of problem with my 2003 venture but

Rather than go through circuit testing on the EGR valve, I just replaced it. Well, it didn't change the problem. So I'm still looking for a solution to the problem of an engine that runs well when cold but jerks on any sort of mild acceleration after it's warmed up for more than five minutes.
o Reilly's told me it was some gas vent on top of tank(100$ part) I got tank dropped,but I'm lost
Old September 27th, 2021, 9:55 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Davehedler
o Reilly's told me it was some gas vent on top of tank(100$ part) I got tank dropped,but I'm lost
I can't see how that would cause the engine to run rough; it may cause a P0440 code due to a problem with the Evaporative Emission Control System, do you have such a code? What are the symptoms of your problem?

The part you're looking for may be shown in post #5 of this thread: https://chevroletforum.com/forum/ven...plugged-97505/

Last edited by Photon440; September 27th, 2021 at 9:57 PM.