Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

Low grumble/rattle during slight acceleration

Search this Thread

Old December 10th, 2012, 6:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low grumble/rattle during slight acceleration

Occasionally when the car is in motion and I ease my foot on the gas, it was cause this low pitch grumbling/rattle noise, but if i let off the gas and then reapply it it often doesnt happen twice in a row. Any ideas?
Old December 12th, 2012, 10:19 AM
CF Beginner

check your tranny fluid, is it happening at low rpm's?
Old December 13th, 2012, 2:16 AM
CF Beginner

Yes it is! I changed my transmission fluid about 6 months ago, mixed with lucas oil. Also I have a chirping/cricket sound when I first start the car for the day. And my engine runs very rough, like its growling when I'm at a stop light.
Old December 13th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Might also consider cleaning the throttle body...it could be running rough do to a low idle speed from a dirty idle air control or throttle plate...
also make sure the air cleaner is clean
Old December 14th, 2012, 12:48 AM
CF Beginner

if you lose exceleration trying to level at a plain speed change your plugs and or wires. do what in2pro said, clean the iac and throttle body plate but be careful you dont brake the iac sensor while cleaning. its easy to take off, just a couple torque screws. how many M/Km on it? good cleaning and tune up but it could also be an 02 sensor? have it diagnosed i guess? prob best to have it hooked up and check the computer before sinking cash into it for sensors etc. but a good cleaning and tune up will never hurt. sorry cant help much

Joe
Old December 16th, 2012, 1:58 AM
CF Beginner

I appreciate the replies. The van has 137,000 Mi on it. I replaced the plugs & wires at 100k, had my power steering, transmission flushed. I suspect it could either be the alternator or my water pump causing the chirping/squeaking sound (Almost like a fishing reel being cast). As for the grumble and rough-running, I'm still at a loss.
Old December 17th, 2012, 12:55 PM
CF Beginner

tighten up your belt to get rid of the squeaking noise, maybe a bad bearing in a pulley ie: tensor, alt, water pump etc. 37,000 Mi. since last maintenance, your about ready for a tune up sounds like a good cleaning though, rough idle prob air problem/leak? clean that iac and the throttle body plate (use TB cleaner not Carb cleaner). but could very well be an 02 sensor causeing the rough-running?

joe
Old January 27th, 2013, 2:36 AM
CF Beginner

Joe you're the man. The squeaking was a bad pulley bearing. I had the belt & pulley replaced, however the noise has returned. And on another note, a metal-on-metal grinding noise has developed when I'm driving at low speeds.
Old January 28th, 2013, 1:16 PM
CF Beginner

Glad to help. The belts will stretch if they are new and will cause a noise again, tighten up the belt and it should go away. But the grinding noise could be anything but check the brakes, that could cause grinding. Or a wheel bearing could be gone, i changed both my front hubs because of grinding noises.
Old February 1st, 2013, 12:59 AM
CF Beginner

1/31 Update-

Came back from the mechanics today, we replaced the belt tensioner and harmonic balancer($250 parts & labor). However, the car still vibrates considerably at stop-lights. I'm dreading bringing it back because my mechanic is super busy and it easily turns into an all day affair. At least the ticking-chirping noise is gone...