Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

No heat, always adding coolant

Search this Thread

Old January 22nd, 2010, 11:51 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No heat, always adding coolant

I have a 2000 Chev Venture LS EXT! My problem is that I have no heat in the front at all but the heat in the backseats is fine. I am guessing that it is the heater core. But the other problem that I have is I am always getting a low coolant light and I have to add more coolant to the reservoir and bleed the air out of the lines.I cannot see a coolant leak anywhere and nothing on the ground! When the low coolant light comes on and I bleed the lines out they are all hot and hard but the upper hose from the radiator is always filled with air and so is the area around the other bleeder screw at the water pump. It is like it is always air locked, but I can get all of the air out drive for 10 minutes and the coolant light comes back on and have to do it all again. Oh and the only way that the coolant will flow from the reservoir is if I take it off of the mounting bar above the air filter housing and put it at an even higher level than the top of the rad cap.(Ex sitting at the base of the windshield.

I have no idea what is going on with the van at all! Please help!!!
Old January 22nd, 2010, 11:55 AM
CF Beginner

Oh I am also not smelling any coolant inside or outside of the van.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 7:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does your temperature needle bounce up and down?
Old February 3rd, 2010, 7:28 PM
CF Beginner

mine does, sometime i have heat and sometimes no heat. is it the thermostat sticking perhaps?
Old February 4th, 2010, 8:06 AM
CF Beginner

Angry

The only time it bounces up and down is when the big low coolant warning comes on, and at that time I have to bleed the air out of the hoses and add coolant to the radiator. But it never overheats.
Old February 4th, 2010, 3:05 PM
CF Beginner

Default exact same problem

i am experiencing the exact same problem in the event you can figure out whats going on i would love to know i may just have to take it in and see what they can figure out
Old February 4th, 2010, 3:38 PM
CF Beginner

i bleed the air out and added water to it and now no bouncing of the needle and have heat now, my low coolant light was on and off also be for i did this. i first that it was the thermostat and was going to replace it but was not trying that, its not in a easy location in this cold weather.
Old February 5th, 2010, 8:58 AM
CF Beginner

Thermostat on this van is a real p.i.t.a to change!

When adding coolant to this van you really have to use the bleeder valves to make sure the air is out. Took my a lot long on this van to bleed the coolant then any other vehicle I've owned.
Old February 11th, 2010, 6:14 PM
CF Beginner

You should check to see if coolant is showing up in your crankcase. That was where it was going to when my Venture had this problem. Had to have the intake manifold gasket replaced to the tune of about $700.
Old March 13th, 2010, 12:37 PM
CF Beginner

Rogers mechanical repair service's Avatar

Since the heater hoses are hot I beleive you have two issues. First your electic door actuator does not seem to be opening or closing. Common problem. Next you should do a pressure test on the coolant system. I agree with a possible intake manifold gasket, also common.

Quick Reply: No heat, always adding coolant