Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

Tranny Fluid Filter change

Search this Thread

Old November 22nd, 2011, 10:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Fluid Filter change

How yall doin, i have a 2003 Venture and its time to change the tranny fluid and filter. I have done filter changes on different brand cars and wonderin what i should expect when doin it on this van? What tranny is it? and is the filter held in by bolts? and what brand of fluid should be put back in, i know GM has there specified fluids but i work on mostly Mopar products and i know the recomend different fluids for their trannys. I think the engine is the 3.4. Any help would be great.
Old January 5th, 2012, 8:28 PM
CF Junior Member

I just recently changed the tranny fluid on my 2000 Venture. The filter on mine is just on with a tight fitting nossel both times I changed it I had to work the old one to get it off but worried that the new one wouldn't stay until I got the pan back on. I don't remember what the fluid was but the AP store should be able to help you. I just got the cheep store brand stuff. My van had 133,000 miles and the fluid has been changed three times now. I'm not sure the tranny will last for another change; the last time there was a lot of metallic sludge caked around the magnet
Old February 26th, 2012, 12:31 AM
CF Beginner

hi , the right tranny fluid for this vehicle is dexron vi or they say dexron 6 some times , a lot of shops will say dexron iii or dexron 3 as their alldata program will say on their computer but that's wrong for sure , because that will make your tranny slips and then you think your car is acting up , but dexron 6 is more thick than 3 , it's kind of synthetic fluid , and filter you can get after market , gasket should be metal and reusable , if damaged then replace from dealer "metal gasket" if can't afford that then after market is ok , but will leak after a while , good luck every one
Old March 22nd, 2017, 7:22 PM
CF Beginner

2000 Chevy Venture - just stated whining a little. Flushed Radiator and changed thermostat. Ithought I should change tranny fluid. Son-in-law says absolutely not. He says the tranny will never run right again. My son says do it NOW but not a flush just change the fluids. 175,000 runs beautiful...who should I believe?

Last edited by myliber5; March 22nd, 2017 at 7:25 PM.