Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

venture transmission

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2010, 8:17 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are right KTM 521. MY impala transmission had the same illness. ( same transmission than the venture) I did not bothered to spend 3000$ for a fix. The car was a 2003 and the car value of the car was too low to spend this amount of money specially when your car has 100000 miles.Last year when I went to change it they gave me under 4000$ for it. I paid this car new in 2003 over 32000$ including the taxes.
Old March 9th, 2010, 1:52 PM
CF Beginner

Default PCS issue with 4T65E Transmission

No if you do not fix this you will take the transmission out. Improper pressure to your valves in the trans will burn your clutches out, and the transmission will fail. I just did the job on my 2000 venture 2 weeks ago. Parts were $59 for the Solenoid, $90 for the side cover gasket, filter, and fluid.
Old March 9th, 2010, 2:00 PM
CF Beginner

Repalce the solenoid. If not the transmiossion will fail buy burning the clutches out. $200 in parts for the fix, did it last week end.
Old March 21st, 2010, 9:31 PM
CF Beginner

Mine whines once it warms up to operating temp, but the shifts are normal and no codes. Could this still be the same issue?

I changed the fluid and filter last weekend, fluid did appear a bit dark. Van has about 107K miles.
Old March 28th, 2010, 11:09 PM
CF Beginner

Default pcs replacement

My venture has the same occasional whine and hard shifting and I am going to replace the pcs myself. Can anyone recommend a manual or where to find detailed instructions on the procedure? I understand lowering the transmission is the majority of the work and I want to know step by step how that's done. thanks, Gary
Old April 15th, 2010, 9:45 PM
CF Beginner

Bean...I just joined the forum so am a little late but my 2001 Venture has the hard shifting, too now that the weather is warmer. I've read a bunch of other forums about it and a couple ideas were repeated. An additional transmission cooler in the line at the radiator will help keep the fluid cooler and dumping a can of Seafoam transmission cleaner into the trans for a while before flushing has helped others. Some think the solenoid might also just be sticking and a cleaning along with new fluid might help. Having the solenoid changed is an expensive undertaking but these alternative 'fixes' are reasonably cheap and can't hurt. I haven't done anything about mine yet but now that it's warming up outside I'll have to do something soon. I'm worried the bang shift could eventually do even more harm. Good luck.
Old April 16th, 2010, 8:08 AM
CF Beginner

I tried the sea foam and changed the fluid and filter and that caused it to shift hard all the time instead of intermittantly. It's been several weeks now and it's getting back to where it was, shifting hard only on long trips after driving for about an hour. I found instructions for doing it yourself and it is pretty involved and I think I'd rather pay someone than spend a weekend under a car I want to get rid of.
Old April 17th, 2010, 4:18 PM
CF Active Member

According to what I read in my workshop manual for my 2003 impala which use the same transmission than the venture the harsh shifting are caused by the transmission going in high pressure mode to protect itself for lost of pressure caused by problematic soleneoids. A quick cure is to shut off the engine and restart the engine to reset the electronics. But it will be a constant problem until the transmission is repaired. I dont mean that this is your problem but it is one of the cause that create harsh shifting on this hydramatic t65 transmission.
Old May 30th, 2010, 7:36 AM
CF Beginner

Check out this thread:

http://www.grandprixforums.net/f21/4...ion-25211.html

Yes, that forum is about the Grand Prix, but all of these cars have the 4t65e transmission and many of those exhibit the same symptoms.

Everyone should be careful, however, not to assume that all hard shifting is the same. This stuff is about the kind that starts while you are driving, is associated with pump whine, and will completely disappear if you shut the van down and start it back up.

Note that for this kind of problem there seems to be one of several things going on: first, if your transmission does actually slip at all then you likely just need a rebuild. But second, there is the pressure control solenoid problem, and I suspect that this is sometimes entangled with a weak 1-2 / 2-3 accumulator problem. (Search and you'll find a lot of people who say the PCS as a solution was temporary). Third, this problem can also be associated with a malfunctioning mass airflow (MAF) sensor.

Last edited by jhs3eva; May 30th, 2010 at 7:43 AM. Reason: clarity
Old May 31st, 2010, 12:54 AM
CF Beginner

I 've done tranny cooler 3 weeks from now, can say it is better and notice even temperature gauge in dash show colder temperature too.Yasterday done partial shift(only accumulator part,since do not have to drop tranny) kit from TransGo,need to drive a little to say final results.
I do agree with jhs3eva about problems.I hope that mine only accumulator problem,otherwise probably best way rebuild transmission and install mods in to prevent in future.

Quick Reply: venture transmission