Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

venture transmission

Search this Thread

Old June 16th, 2012, 6:01 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

transmission has to come down to replace the part. This is part of the job on a rebuilt transmission to install new solenoid.
Old June 16th, 2012, 11:54 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks Capucine. Does anyone know if there is a how to on this somewhere like youtube or somehwere else. I'm pretty handy and have no problem pulling down transmissions as long as I do my homework first. Also, anyone know of a proper parts list with part numbers??
Old June 17th, 2012, 12:13 AM
CF Beginner

I have been having this hard shifting trouble since I bought a 2001 Venture about a year ago. Very intermittant, but I definately believe my troubles are temperature related. Not necessarily ambient, but overall trans temps. I have recently put a manual fan switch on the van to turn both fans on high in warmer temps, or when the guage gets up to about halfway. Since this modification, there has been no issues with hard shifting. And I have tried to encourage the problem by purposely driving it hard on hills, etc. Also in the works is a trans oil cooler pulled from a Silverado 2500. It has been adapted to fit in front of the rad, with custom spacers and brackets. It still has to be plumbed, that will happen early this week as we are about to be hit with a heatwave. Stay tuned!
Old June 17th, 2012, 6:35 AM
CF Beginner

Buy and install a shift kit for the 1-2 / 3-4 accumulators and install an auxilliary trans cooler and your troubles will be over.m (Check out the link above to a thread on a grand prix forum.

DO NOT go through the trouble of replacing the EPC solenoid unless a professional diagnosis tells you that this is the trouble. Even then I would still install the kit and cooler. There are lots of reasons this happens. The solenoid is only one of them.
Old June 19th, 2012, 8:23 PM
CF Beginner

Your van made before 2004 so I would not wonder about replacing only solenoid which not easy to do anyway,better completely rebuild tranny will be best solution,below I supply web address where you can found everything what you need for project..If your problem mostly come on quick accelerations,sometimes on uphills than may be will be enoght just shift kit as people described before.(I still have TRANSGO kit, two for years now, which purchase from transmissionpartsusa.com for 4T65E tranny.Them code in time of purchase was 500-000037937 it was cost 50 backs.Also recomend to buy from them, or others place, pan gasket which identical to original not crappy flat rubber( who had a deal with tranny pan gasket he knows)In this kit come also more parts to replace ,but I use only spring related parts for 1-2, 3-4 shift spring cameras.Unfortunate I can not able to replace parts for reverse due necessary to lowering tranny.Spring parts can be done relatively easy.On the end I made decision at that time to put transmission fluid ACDELCO Dexron VI.Since than I found that this fluid way more better than IV.
Old June 26th, 2012, 10:30 PM
CF Beginner

Well, I have installed the cooler, and it's been almost two weeks, so far, so good. I will monitor the situation as bit longer before I put in a shift kit .We have had a pretty good heat wave last week, and the wife drove the van for a few hours in city stop and go traffic, with the air cranked, and some extended idling, (with the fan overide switch on), and it showed no signs of heat stress. The temp stayed around the lower 1/3 on the guage. And best of all, no hard shifts!
Old July 15th, 2012, 3:27 PM
CF Beginner

Update: Since my last post I have experienced the hard shifting twice. I was about to order a new MAF sensor, but decided to clean the original first. That's when I discovered something I think may have lead to the problem. Back a few months ago I had a local shop perform a "tune up". Replace plugs, air filter, front brakes etc. When I went to loosen the clamps to the MAF hose, they were already loose! Air would have been leaking in AFTER the MAF, thus giving a false reading to the PCM! Coincidentally, I had to replace both wheel bearings atfer the same service @ this unnamed shop. BOTH axle nuts were loose! I will not be taking any more work to that shop... Stay tuned the saga continues.
Old September 9th, 2012, 12:08 AM
CF Beginner

I am new to this site, and have a question to ask about the 1999 Venture van I drive, it recently began to make this weird sound that I cannot describe, yet the sound is made in every gear except reverse. It is a very loud sound that sounds terrible, kind of squeeky, high pitched. Please give advise
Old July 11th, 2014, 2:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default van shifting hard

Clean your Mass air flow sensor. it is sending a wrong signal to your engine computer and messing everything up. Easy fix ....believe me it works