Notices
2014 - 2018 (GMT-K2) Section for all discussion related to the 2014 - 2018 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2014 Silverado AC Problems Already?

Search this Thread

Old November 5th, 2016, 10:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Actually problems

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
koko22,

My apologies that your A/C is not operating properly after a recent service visit for this same concern. I certainly realize the frustration that this would cause. Please feel free to contact us by private message so we can investigate this matter. I look forward to hearing from you.

Kindly,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care

The problem with mine, a 2015 3500hd gas, is the ac will go out for about 15min to an hour as you're going down the road blowing out warm air when it's 100* outside then when I take it to the dealership it works fine. Chevrolet used to be a quality truck. What happened? I should add, that this issue started with less than 19,000 miles on it.

Last edited by Richard Garwood; November 6th, 2016 at 9:39 AM. Reason: Forgot to add information
Old November 6th, 2016, 8:08 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2014 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3 A/C issue

I purchased my Silverado in November of 2013 it has been in shop for recalls and blemishes in clear coat after a few months after purchasing. Now I have the same issue with my A/C. I can see that the compressor is kicking on and off like it should also the blower and louvre controls are working like they should. This is really annoying from a new vehicle and especially being mechanically inclined and knowing refrigerant should last a long time as well the A/C. It's also annoying growing up building Chevy 350-4 bolt mains and swearing that Chevy is the most reliable vehicle to own, but now explaining why mine is in the shop all the time. Seems to me Chevrolet needs move there final assembly back to America.
This year my wife was planning on purchasing a 2017 Suburban Ltz but I think there is no way that I'm going to let that happen.
Old November 7th, 2016, 5:06 PM
CF Beginner

I have another one.....Purchased my 2014 double cab Silverado LT1 5.3 4X4 in may of 2014. It now has 41k miles on it. Yesterday 11-6-16 it stopped blowing cold air. I will be taking it in to the local Chevy dealer where I purchased it Wednesday. I will post the outcome on here. I do have an extended warranty so we shall see what happens.
Old November 15th, 2016, 11:01 AM
CF Beginner

Default Same AC problem different wallet

Welp this sucks. 2014 Silverado has been great up to this point, and only has 38,000 miles. AC went out over the weekend, same story that's repeated on here several times, was blowing cold on Friday died on Saturday. Called and spoke with GM customer service on 11/14 and was told there was currently no safety recalls for AC failure. Asked how it was possible to expect customers to pay for a known design flaw, and was told I could file a complaint and if enough people are experiencing similar problems GM may decide to change its stance on reimbursing. Complaints can be filed by calling 1-800-222-1020 or writing to;

GM Motor Company
PO Box 33170
Detroit, MI 48232-5170

Update 11/28
I live in Austin, TX and got back truck last Tuesday 11/22 from dealership. I had to pay $100 deductible but got new AC line installed with bracket designed to prevent breakage. Here's to hoping new line and bracket do the trick and last as long as by payment note.

Last edited by JohnR.; November 28th, 2016 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Update
Old November 17th, 2016, 6:18 AM
CF Beginner

Default Update

So I had the truck in the shop for a couple days they said it was the AC high pressure lines. They went ahead and changed them out. I got the truck back last Saturday the 12th of November. Yesterday my AC started making the Hudson sound and stopped blowing cold air again. Needless to say I'm a little pissed off. Im assuming they don't trouble shoot anything they just go by
Originally Posted by jjordo1
I have another one.....Purchased my 2014 double cab Silverado LT1 5.3 4X4 in may of 2014. It now has 41k miles on it. Yesterday 11-6-16 it stopped blowing cold air. I will be taking it in to the local Chevy dealer where I purchased it Wednesday. I will post the outcome on here. I do have an extended warranty so we shall see what happens.
Old December 30th, 2016, 5:56 PM
CF Beginner

Default A/C compressor

i just called chevy about the compressor locking up on my 2014 Silverado and they said because I was 7000 miles over the bumper to bumper warranty (43000) they couldn't do anything to help me. They said bring it to a dealership and they could figure it out though. I know what the problem is! I need you to stand behind your product gm. I've always liked chevy but I may be trading this thing in for a ford or dodge
Old January 24th, 2017, 8:44 PM
CF Beginner

Default Lucky Me

I realize this thread has been idle for a few months but I thought I would add to the list of AC issues. Bought my truck new in Apr of 2014. I have had no complaints until now. Here in Alabama the winter has been kind of mild and haven't had much need to run ac. Christmas was a warm day and as I remember ac worked fine then. After the holidays temps cooled off and the heater was used . Now we are back to temps ranging from freezing to 70's at times. Last week went to pick kids up at school and it was warm so I set temp controller down to 70 to cool off the cab but the air was warm. Set temp to low but still warm.. When I got home I raised the hood and saw the belt was broke. I thought it was unusual for belt to break at 37200 miles but I said no biggie, I will just put on new belt. Well after finding the belt is a stretch fit belt that cost 60.00 and replacing it I thought ok, good to go. Well compressor will not engage. Checked for pressure but system is empty. Now I am just a shade tree kind of mechanic but I do know how to charge a system and check for leaks. Hooked up vacuum pump to pull vac and all I could pull was about 24 inches of vacuum and as soon as the vacuum pump was turned off it would fall to zero. Got my UV light to look around in hopes the factory had put dye in it or the dealer had during a previous visit while it was in the body shop for minor damage repair. Body shop said the air wouldn't run so they carried it to dealer of course the dealer has no record of ever doing ac work. Said it was there for recalls to be done. Anyway compressor showed signs of dye all over the compressor and a little on the compressor discharge line. Long story short I am replacing everything except the evaporator core but will flush it before reassembly. All told I am at $600 in parts. Just waiting on everything to arrive to get started. It still sucks that you pay 45000 for a truck you expect to last many' many years and you don't even make it 3 years before major breakdowns start. Have always been a GM guy but I am starting to bleed Ford.
Old January 25th, 2017, 12:46 PM
CF Beginner

Default Frustrated

I want to post the issues I have here with my AV but I don't see anything on this website / forum leading me to believe that this is a GM/Chevrolet affiliated forum.
Old January 26th, 2017, 7:37 PM
CF Beginner

Chelsi, I don't think this is affiliated with Chevy or GM. I think this is an enthusiast forum which may be viewed by some customer service type people and I think they might contact a dealership on your behalf at times but don't expect too much. I am sorry you have issues but by posting you may be able to gain some insight and knowledge about the issues you are seeing
Old February 13th, 2017, 12:45 PM
CF Beginner

My 2014 Silverado has the same issue; however, I have 50k miles...yes, I use my truck. So, warrantee is gone and the bill is all mine. I found the leak at the top connection on the condensor. It looks like the connection was weakened and stretched pinholes have appeared. This appears as a clear design flaw, why not recall or openly offer compensation? Kind of disappointed in GM. Thanks for the complaint number and address John.

Originally Posted by JohnR.
Welp this sucks. 2014 Silverado has been great up to this point, and only has 38,000 miles. AC went out over the weekend, same story that's repeated on here several times, was blowing cold on Friday died on Saturday. Called and spoke with GM customer service on 11/14 and was told there was currently no safety recalls for AC failure. Asked how it was possible to expect customers to pay for a known design flaw, and was told I could file a complaint and if enough people are experiencing similar problems GM may decide to change its stance on reimbursing. Complaints can be filed by calling 1-800-222-1020 or writing to;

GM Motor Company
PO Box 33170
Detroit, MI 48232-5170

Update 11/28
I live in Austin, TX and got back truck last Tuesday 11/22 from dealership. I had to pay $100 deductible but got new AC line installed with bracket designed to prevent breakage. Here's to hoping new line and bracket do the trick and last as long as by payment note.

Quick Reply: 2014 Silverado AC Problems Already?