Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900

2012 Avalanche Key won't turn in ignition

Search this Thread

Old October 19th, 2014, 5:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Avalanche Key won't turn in ignition

I have a 2012 Avalanche went to start it yesterday and the key won't turn in the ignition switch. I have a extra key same thing, I can't believe a 2 year old vehicle should have a problem so soon. I'm going to have it towed to the dealer on Monday it has 57,000 miles so its out of warranty. I also had to replace the windshield wiper motor already, I wonder whats next. I will let you know what it costs for this.
Old October 19th, 2014, 5:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

this may not be your issue but have a look at the keys. if the edges have lost the silver coating and are left with a dull brown edge...the keys are worn. typically its a 5 year time line for this to happen. have new keys cut using a key code...don't trace the old keys.
Old October 19th, 2014, 5:55 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
this may not be your issue but have a look at the keys. if the edges have lost the silver coating and are left with a dull brown edge...the keys are worn. typically its a 5 year time line for this to happen. have new keys cut using a key code...don't trace the old keys.
I have the 2nd key that came with the truck same thing, I found another post here with a 2012 pickup that had the same problem he said after trying to turn it back and forth for 20 minutes he got it to work.

Well guess what I just went out to the garage and did the same thing after about 8 minutes I got it to turn and start. I turned it off and tried again and now it works, I'm going to have to have it replaced I can't take a chance of having my wife being stranded somewhere.

I thing GM should replace it with only 57,000 miles that shouldn't happen but they won't.
Old October 19th, 2014, 6:06 PM
Super Moderator

ok.
usually, if you got it to turn by jiggling its probably the key. I see this every day. key problems are far more common than lock cylinders on the pick ups. I may have replaced 1 in the trucks in 5 years but keys once a week.

inspect your key and if they are ok put some white grease in your lock cylinder to lube the tumblers.

Last edited by tech2; October 19th, 2014 at 6:11 PM.
Old October 19th, 2014, 6:30 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
ok.
usually, if you got it to turn by jiggling its probably the key. I see this every day. key problems are far more common than lock cylinders on the pick ups. I may have replaced 1 in the trucks in 5 years but keys once a week.

inspect your key and if they are ok put some white grease in your lock cylinder to lube the tumblers.
I will try that and see if it acts up again, my wife doesn't use it much I just don't need it happening when she is driving it. Should I use the spray white lithium and stick the tube in the hole and spray or just wipe it on the key?
Old October 19th, 2014, 6:39 PM
Super Moderator

use the tube type. new lock cylinders come with a small, one use tube. put a small dab the size of a pea in the cylinder and wipe some into the groves on each side of the key. work the key in and out and then from off to run multiple times.
Old October 20th, 2014, 3:39 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi garygve,

We're sorry to hear of your key concern. We understand that you have been in contact with your dealer in regard to this issue. We'd like to look further into this for you. Please feel free to send us a private message with your VIN, current mileage, full contact information, and dealer name for further assistance. We look forward to hearing from you!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care