Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

1999 cavalier wont start

Search this Thread

Old March 10th, 2011, 1:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 cavalier wont start

i have a slight problem my wife had locked the keys in the car a few weeks ago with the car running and it ran out of gas. Since then the car wont start the battery has been fully charged so i know its not the battery. The car cranks but wont fully turn over i heard from a friend that there could be air in the fuel system which isnt allowing fuel to get to the engine. I've checked the purge valve for the fuel system and nothing comes out when trying to crank engine over. What could be the problem and how can i go about fixing it?
Old March 10th, 2011, 3:50 PM
CF Junior Member

assuming you are getting spark and fuel , there could be air in the system. get a can of starting fluid pull the breather hose off if the throttle body so you can see the throttle blades. spray a little as someone else is cranking it over . if it starts keep spraying it in there the person in the car may have to work the throttle a little bit. after 30 seconds or so it should stay running. but before you do that you may check to see if you have spark. to do that unhook a spark plug wire have someone crank the car over while you take a screw driver with a plastic or wood handle and get as close as you can to the metal inside of the spark plug boot. if you see spark your good if not your coild is probably bad to check the fuel you need a pressure guage theres a port you hook it to on the fuel rail and have someone crank it. im not exact but if you have less than 30lbs on fuel pressure thats your problem. if you cant do that have someone turn the key to the run position but dont start the car stick your head under the car right behind driver door and once the key is turned on but not running do you hear a buzzing sound that just lasts a couple seconds? if so your fuel pump is kicking on if not you fuel pump or relay is bad. probably the pump though. sometimes they can vapor lock and it can be a pita to make them run again. good luck keep us posted.
Old March 10th, 2011, 5:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In addition to the fuel pump priming noise, listen for clicks as the FUEL PUMP relay is energized (engine compartment fuse block). Also, check for the ignition voltage at the F/P-INJ fuse (instrument panel fuse block). Access to the fuel pump itself is problematic because of its location (top of the fuel tank). That said, it's probably seized from running dry and needs replacement.
Old March 10th, 2011, 7:22 PM
CF Junior Member

ya i +2 that i a similar situatin happen last week i was driving to the gas station and ran outta gas. needle wasnt even in the red but put gas in it and vroom vroom. i got lucky though.cross r figers and hope your fuel pump is good chevy made it pita to change.good luck
Old March 10th, 2011, 7:25 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car cranks but wont fully turn over ...
If it won't turn over then it won't start and won't run. Sounds more like weak starter/battery or something even worse. Like coolant in cylinder.

But, first things first.
i have a slight problem my wife had locked the keys in the car a few weeks ago with the car running and it ran out of gas. Since then the car wont start the battery has been fully charged so i know its not the battery.
No you don't. Battery left without charge will degrade fast and won't keep the necessary charge to start a car any more. Turn headlights on and try to start, if headlights dim significantly your battery is dead. If you don't believe this simple test take your battery to a shop or Autozone and have them test it.
Old March 11th, 2011, 11:09 AM
CF Junior Member

he said it cranks but doesnt fully turn ovr. if when you g to start it cranks like it should at a normal speed and lights arent real dim and you stereo works your batt is fine.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 7:10 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Default 1999 Chevy Cavalier Fuel Pump Pinout?

What is the pinout for a 99 Chevy Cavalier fuel pump?
Old September 24th, 2013, 9:53 PM
CF Beginner

Don't over look anything easy, it cold be out of oil to, no oil or low oil can cause it to not want to start. If the cranking is slow it could possible be a bad battery not allowing it to complete the full cranking cycle. The engine will have to work harder trying to prime the system, It could also be possible that the fuel filter is plugged up from the sediment that could have gotten into the fuel lines, I would replace the fuel filter if you have not yet. The previous steps suggested definitely check spark and make sure there is fuel delivery before going much further.