Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2010 Equinox - continually stalling

Search this Thread

Old March 19th, 2011, 7:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Equinox - continually stalling

I have a 1 year old 2010 Equinox LT AWD with only 7,500 kms on it(5000 miles). Beginning in January of this year, I'd be driving and then all of the sudden the vehicle would stall and I'd get no response from having my foot on the gas pedal. There'd be no warning. No warning lights, no sounds indicating anything was wrong. The radio would still work, the interior would still be lit up, just the engine would suddenly become unresponsive. So I'd turn the engine off, start it back up then drive home. This has happened several times.

Most recently, this week it happened again. I was driving, I was going around a corner and the the engine just stopped responding. I couldnt restart the engine for 15 minutes and then the engine stalled again 5 minutes after getting it started. I was able to get it back home. In total I've had problems approximately 5 times since January.

I took it to my dealership and they said they can't find anything wrong after taking it for a test drive. Well, I told them it only happens once or twice a month and it's driving fine today. They said bring it in when it happens, but how can I do that if it happens during the evening or weekends when they're closed?

I'm very frustrated. This is the first vehicle I've ever owned. This equinox is going to get me killed.

Has anyone experienced anything similiar? I'd appreciate any suggestions that others may have.
Old March 19th, 2011, 9:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In the absence of stored trouble codes, they can't fix a problem that they cannot see. The next time it happens, don't just try to restart the vehicle unless necessary. Instead, press the blue OnStar button and ask the operator to run a vehicle diagnostics. Be sure to write down what the problem is as seen from the OnStar end.
Old March 20th, 2011, 8:35 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by EinST
In the absence of stored trouble codes, they can't fix a problem that they cannot see. The next time it happens, don't just try to restart the vehicle unless necessary. Instead, press the blue OnStar button and ask the operator to run a vehicle diagnostics. Be sure to write down what the problem is as seen from the OnStar end.
Will do
Old March 20th, 2011, 9:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh, I don't know if you had let it run out but you do need an active subscription to OnStar. Anyway, don't just feel frustrated, contact GM customer service if you haven't already and make it their problem. Cases like yours need additional resources beyond the one dealership's service department.
Old March 21st, 2011, 12:30 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

jonrobbins, have you gotten this issue resolved yet? Thank you.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old March 21st, 2011, 7:07 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
jonrobbins, have you gotten this issue resolved yet? Thank you.

Hi Jeff,

I haven't gotten the issue resolved yet. I called Chevrolet Customer Service and they stated that they would call the dealership I got it checked out at. I haven't heard back from them. I'd do anything to get this problem fixed.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 10:06 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Could you direct message me your case number if you have one? I would like to look over it to see if I can assist you.

Old March 22nd, 2011, 10:53 PM
CF Beginner

Hi Jeff, thank you for taking an interest in my situation. I'll attempt to get my case number and pm you.
Old September 21st, 2011, 7:59 AM
CF Beginner

So I’ve got a 2010 Chevy equinox that was purchased new in the summer of 2009. In July 2011 with 20k miles the car stalled in the driveway, no engine light or warning light of any kind went on. It started right back up but has since stalled when coming to s stop or slowing to under 5 mph 6 times since July. It’s been at the dealer twice and they can’t find anything that registers on their diagnostics tests and are at a loss on how to rectify the issue. It’s getting pretty frustrating to drive a car that is no longer safe to drive. Before I drive it back to the dealer to leave it there and throw the keys through the window and walk away, anyone have similar issues?
Old February 20th, 2012, 2:17 PM
CF Beginner

Angry 2010 Equinox will not start randomly

I have not had the case of the vehicle shutting down in the middle of driving, but I have experienced it choosing to lock my key in the ignition and not start. It is very strange. I put the key in and turn to the on position(not started), I then turn it to ignite the engine, and it instead locks the key it it's place and you cannot get the key out and there are no messages being displayed on the dash. trying to turn the steering wheel to get the key out doesn't work either. The only solution I've found to this is to pop my hood, and then close the hood, get back in the car and start it again, and it works. i can then turn the car off and start it again no problem. ...no problems until the next time it randomly happens. My fear is that this is part of a bigger problem with the electrical system and something COULD lock up like this while driving and cause an accident.

Quick Reply: 2010 Equinox - continually stalling