Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2010 Equinox - continually stalling

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2012, 10:27 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by duellychevy
I have not had the case of the vehicle shutting down in the middle of driving, but I have experienced it choosing to lock my key in the ignition and not start. It is very strange. I put the key in and turn to the on position(not started), I then turn it to ignite the engine, and it instead locks the key it it's place and you cannot get the key out and there are no messages being displayed on the dash. trying to turn the steering wheel to get the key out doesn't work either. The only solution I've found to this is to pop my hood, and then close the hood, get back in the car and start it again, and it works. i can then turn the car off and start it again no problem. ...no problems until the next time it randomly happens. My fear is that this is part of a bigger problem with the electrical system and something COULD lock up like this while driving and cause an accident.
Good morning duellychevy,
I understand your concern - have you already visited your dealership to have this looked into?
Sarah
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old March 14th, 2012, 12:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jonrobbins,

I am having the same problem as well as others. On Tuesday the 6th of March my wife was driving home and heard a loud noise coming from the engine compartment. I got home and took the car to the dealer. The car is a 2010 Chevy Equinox with 37,000 miles on it. They had to change the Timing Chain, Timing Chain Guide and water pump. We thought that was the end of our problems, NO. We got the car back Wednesday Evening and everything was fine until Thursday the 8th of March my wife was driving home and the car's check engine light came on and she pulled over and the car shut off. She called me and I told her to call onstar. The car was taken back to the dealer. The oil pump went bad, I asked if after the Timing Chain was replaced if they changed the oil, and of course they said that wasn't standard operating procedure. I insisted that they change the oil with the oil pump. Unfortunately they did not have the part. We didn't get the car back until Monday night the 12th of March. The next morning Tuesday the 13th the car almost stalled on her drive to work twice. She said that it felt like the car wasn't getting gas, she said it was a chugging type of feeling. She is the only owner of this car and drives like a grandma, which isn't a bad thing. I don't understand why this car is having so many issues. And to boot the service guy says they can't duplicate the problem. The chugging issue happens every morning, but some mornings are worse than others. If the car sits for more than eight hours it does this chugging thing. I am at a loss for words and very frustrated. My wife is 16 weeks pregnant and I do not want her to keep getting stranded. I feel like we are being taken advantage of by the dealer, becasue they don't want to lose anymore money on the car. I hate to say this but I feel like people try to take advantage of military people. I have been in the Navy for ten years and no matter where I am stationed there is always someone trying to get over on us. If anyone has any suggestions about what to do about this please let me know. I need my wife to know she can drive her car safely without incidents....by the way the car is still in the shop and it is the 14th of March....
Old May 23rd, 2012, 11:33 AM
CF Beginner

Unhappy jonrobins, did you ever get to the bottom of your problem?

I am experiencing the EXACT same problem. It has happened to me two times now, one time with my two year old in the back. I am terrified this will happen at a moment when it could be dangerous! Any help from anyone out there who has tried to troubleshoot this issue I would greatly appreciate it!

First time it happened checked the error codes and nothing. Second time I had it towed to the Chevy Dealership because it would not restart as it did the first time. They did not find any error codes either. When they went to work on it, it started. I picked it up a few days later, have been driving it for two days with no issues as of now. I am at a loss. I have searched everywhere on the internet and have found other people with the same problem, but no fix. I found where some people suggested to check the crank sensor and the cam sensor. My alternator was replaced less than 6 months ago, battery has not been changed. Would the battery do this?

I'm at a loss!
And no money to go buy a safe vehicle.

Originally Posted by jonrobbins
I have a 1 year old 2010 Equinox LT AWD with only 7,500 kms on it(5000 miles). Beginning in January of this year, I'd be driving and then all of the sudden the vehicle would stall and I'd get no response from having my foot on the gas pedal. There'd be no warning. No warning lights, no sounds indicating anything was wrong. The radio would still work, the interior would still be lit up, just the engine would suddenly become unresponsive. So I'd turn the engine off, start it back up then drive home. This has happened several times.

Most recently, this week it happened again. I was driving, I was going around a corner and the the engine just stopped responding. I couldnt restart the engine for 15 minutes and then the engine stalled again 5 minutes after getting it started. I was able to get it back home. In total I've had problems approximately 5 times since January.

I took it to my dealership and they said they can't find anything wrong after taking it for a test drive. Well, I told them it only happens once or twice a month and it's driving fine today. They said bring it in when it happens, but how can I do that if it happens during the evening or weekends when they're closed?

I'm very frustrated. This is the first vehicle I've ever owned. This equinox is going to get me killed.

Has anyone experienced anything similiar? I'd appreciate any suggestions that others may have.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 11:37 AM
CF Beginner

Default Did you find the answer to this problem?

Hi Jeff,
Did you happen to know if this guys problem was solved? I am experiencing the same thing. Took it to dealership, no error codes, cannot replicate problem.

2006 Equinox LS
AWD, 94,000 miles

Any help would be great...I'm in fear of mine and my children's life!!!

QUOTE=Chevrolet Customer Service;176656]Could you direct message me your case number if you have one? I would like to look over it to see if I can assist you.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service[/QUOTE]
Old May 23rd, 2012, 12:07 PM
Official GM Rep

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Dana Steinhoff,

This may be the result of a torque converter stator issue, or clogged fuel injectors. These are just suggestions, they are not meant as a diagnosis.

I encourage you to consult with a certified technician for additional assistance.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old May 23rd, 2012, 12:40 PM
CF Beginner

Default Dealership cannot help

Thank you for the quick reply.
Had my vehicle towed to my local dealership last Friday, took them 3 days, and $101.00 to tell me they don't know! ? ! ?
Also, when the engine "stalls"/quits, the check engine light and the check engine with a down error flashes. Does not output ANY codes.
Does that information mean anything.

I am terrified to drive my small kids and myself in the vehicle in fear it could cut out at any time.

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Dana Steinhoff,

This may be the result of a torque converter stator issue, or clogged fuel injectors. These are just suggestions, they are not meant as a diagnosis.

I encourage you to consult with a certified technician for additional assistance.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old May 23rd, 2012, 1:48 PM
Official GM Rep

I'm sorry to hear that the dealer wasn't able to find the source of the problem. Unfortunately, if they cannot duplicate the problem, and there are no codes, it can become more difficult to determine the source of the problem.

You stated that the check engine light comes on, is this a recent occurrence or has it been on the entire time?

I would like to set-up a case for you for this issue. If you would like me to proceed, please PM me the following information: your full name, address, phone number, vehicle mileage, vehicle VIN number and the name and city of the dealer you had the work performed at.

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old May 24th, 2012, 11:46 AM
CF Beginner

Default Equinox stalls

So I finally got a resolution for why my equinox was stalling. The disappointing part was that no codes popped up when the dealer ran multiple tests aside from the engine light coming on Turns out it was a faulty sensor that they found. I'm disappointed that this car has had so many challenges and it's only a year old.
Old May 29th, 2012, 9:07 AM
CF Beginner

Default Solution?

Hi cameronwevans,
What sensor did it end up being? I am having the same problem on a 2006 Equinox. Stalls out while driving, going 40, or going 60, power just dies to it. I am trying to troubleshoot it however like yours, no codes. Sooooooo frustrated!
Thanks,
Dana

Originally Posted by cameronwevans
So I finally got a resolution for why my equinox was stalling. The disappointing part was that no codes popped up when the dealer ran multiple tests aside from the engine light coming on Turns out it was a faulty sensor that they found. I'm disappointed that this car has had so many challenges and it's only a year old.
Old May 30th, 2012, 9:34 PM
CF Beginner

no idea what sensor it was, sorry. I was pretty frustrated too because it took the dealer about 5 visits before they figurered it out and they just ended up making gueses as to what the problem was because no codes were coming up when it stalled. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 2010 Equinox - continually stalling