Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

02 Express 3500 No Power Brakes, Power Steering, or Transmission

Search this Thread

Old March 19th, 2015, 9:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be checking it out later today, although my first order of business are these transmission cooler lines.

I did notice that there was NO movement or agitation of the fluid in the power steering reservoir while the engine was running. In some cars I notice agitation, in other cars I do not. I suppose that isn't enough of a "sign" to say much about the problem.
Old March 20th, 2015, 10:01 AM
CF Beginner

As you suspected, the pump is definitely the failure. After removing the belt, I yanked on the pulley and the shaft slid right out of the pump.

As for the auxiliary transmission cooler, it will need to be replaced. The quick disconnect fittings on the auxiliary cooler are very rusted, there was no separating them. I'm thinking an aftermarket auxiliary cooler. That way, I would NOT have to replace the two cooler lines running to and from the transmission. They are in relative good shape. The only line that would require replacement is the one between the radiator and auxiliary cooler.
Old April 2nd, 2015, 12:00 PM
CF Beginner

I finally installed the new hydraulic pump, new pulley, hoses, and auxiliary transmission cooler. Luckily, everything is great now.

It took nearly two weeks because the first pump and pressure hose that was sent to us was incorrect and had to be sent back for the proper pump. I was sent a pump that has the reservoir mounted directly to it, but what I really needed was a pump that uses a remote mount reservoir. Also the pressure hose had the wrong bends, but on the second try, the correct parts came in perfectly!

As for the auxiliary transmission cooler, I installed a Hayden heavy duty cooler. I believe it is their mid size cooler for towing up to 10,000 pounds. According to the chart they have three types for various applications from light duty, medium duty, heavy duty, etc?

Either way, I didn't replace any of the OEM style transmission cooler lines. I cut the rubber, used a 3/8" barb fitting, and clamped on the new hose that lead to and from the Hayden auxiliary cooler.

I don't have any photos of that, but, I do have a photo of the old hydraulic pump with the broken shaft!
Attached Thumbnails 02 Express 3500 No Power Brakes, Power Steering, or Transmission-img_3451.jpg   02 Express 3500 No Power Brakes, Power Steering, or Transmission-img_3452.jpg   02 Express 3500 No Power Brakes, Power Steering, or Transmission-img_3453.jpg   02 Express 3500 No Power Brakes, Power Steering, or Transmission-img_3454.jpg