Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2003 Tahoe Passlock problem

Search this Thread

Old June 6th, 2008, 7:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Tahoe Passlock problem

I hope I'm posting this ? to the right area of the forum.. if not, I'm new and apologize.
I have a 2003 Tahoe and when I went to hit the remote keyless alarm to unlock my car, I noticed the tail lights were on but thought I had maybe hit the remote alarm twice to unlock doors. I get inside and turn the key to start, and it doesn't crank or anything. The instrument panel shows the Theft Deterrent (car pad lock) symbol lit and the seat belt symbol, not sure what else. I hit the unlock again on the remote but it's not responding. I'm thinking the remote batteries are dead and replace them. I then do the resynchronization per manual and the doors lock/unlock cycles through. I try to start it again and nothing. I tried to have it jump started but nothing at all. At some point the Theft Deterrent symbol is turned off and I try again to start... nothing. We jump again, nothing. This happened yesterday and now there are no lights on at all in the car, car battery is completely dead but cannot be jumped. HELP please! What is the problem?
Old June 8th, 2008, 6:48 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: 2003 Tahoe Passlock problem

First of all, you need to get a charge into your battery. Either buy a charger, booster pack, or replace the battery.

Then turn the key to the on position(do not start). Is the security light flashing? if yes, leave the key on for about 10 minutes, or until the light stops flashing. Turn they key off, then start the vehicle.

If the security light does not flash when you turn the key to the on position, try starting it. Any noises? clicking under hood? If you get no response, it could be a bad starter, bad starter relay, bad safety neutral switch, or bad Ign switch.
Old June 9th, 2008, 2:54 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks Shawn.I think I'll just take the old battery into the auto parts store and have it tested that way I can get a new one if bad since I don't have a charger here. I'll try what you said and let you know how it works out. Thanks so much!
Old June 21st, 2008, 4:37 PM
CF Beginner

Hi Shawn,

Remember me? I posted the Passlock problem about 10 days ago. I have put a new battery in the car but it still won't start. The remote keyless is not functioning either however, all instrument panel lights are on and interior lights. The engine lock light is on but not "flashing" as you said in your response. I tried to do the function you said, and turned the key to on position and left it on for 10 minutes, but the engine lock (security) light does not go off. It is just lit solid. Any suggestions? When I try to start nothing happens at all, no noise, nothing. I have already put new batteries in the keyless remote also and tried to resynchronize it but nothing happened when I did that.
Old June 25th, 2010, 5:46 AM
CF Beginner

Did you figure our what is wrong as we are having the exact same thing with our silverado.. We need this truck running!! Please, anyone know what is going on here??
Old October 10th, 2012, 11:12 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2004 Tahoe

Same problem with 04 Tahoe....any new leads?
Old June 17th, 2017, 4:48 PM
CF Beginner

Red face 2004 tahoe same problem.

Started couple months back. intermittent. fixes itself overnight, twice now. no real explanation. Im in market for NEW truck, was leaning tahoe or suburban again, but this is enough to make me rethink my new truck purchase