Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

91 k1500 5.0 issues help me

Search this Thread

Old January 31st, 2007, 11:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 k1500 5.0 issues help me

OMG HELP ME!!! LOL

Symptoms: check engine light comes on, headlights dim drastically, truck seems to flood out. All of these things happen simultaneously. If the lights are bright the check engine light is off and the truck runs fine. It does this idling in park, reverse, drive, bumpy roads, smooth road etc.

Things I’ve checked\replaced: Has brand new Oxygen sensor and fuel filter. I have put 2 large bottles of fuel injector cleaner in the tank. The truck had just got a brand new starter installed before I bought it. The truck also runs this way with or without the breather box assembly. I haven’t yet got to the fuel tank to clean it. I still can’t figure out if it is an electrical problem or a fuel problem or a mixture of both. Also the truck has been run with 3 different batteries so that eliminates the battery. I took in the alternator to get checked. The test showed slightly below where it should be, but it held steady at that voltage and didn’t fluctuate.
Old February 1st, 2007, 12:52 AM
CF Pro Member

Default RE: 91 k1500 5.0 issues help me

Hmmm... your problems show up when the lights dim. You have an electrical supply problem.
Old February 5th, 2007, 12:28 AM
CF Beginner

I dropped the tank and it had about a 1/2 inch of water and crap in it. i got every drop of that stuff out and the truck ran better but still has the issues it had before. i unplug almost every wire plug under the hood that i saw and sprayed them down. i also did this with the spark plug wires. i popped off the distributor cap and sprayed the rotor button also. none of this solved the problem. i then took a small piece of wire and stuck it in the upper right two plug holes of the OBD plug under the dash. the service light flashed 12 over and over, which tells me that the OBD detects nothing. ANY IDEAS?
Old February 5th, 2007, 11:10 AM
CF Pro Member

Is the truck running rough before the the lights dim?

If the lights dim before the truck starts runnig rough... it's an electrical supply problem.

If the voltage is too low the CPU and the injectors will be confused.
My bet is either your alternator or your cables.