Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Static (crackling) in LR speaker at low frequency (bass). How can I fix it?

Search this Thread

Old July 26th, 2011, 4:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Static (crackling) in LR speaker at low frequency (bass). How can I fix it?

My rear left side speaker in my Chevy Malibu 2008 is making funny noises when the sound is in the lower range (bass), any ideas why and how to fix it, how about cost?

Here's what I've done so far.
Removed the trunk carpet and at first it appeared that if the wires (the exposed ones inside the speaker) touched the speaker frame I could reproduce the "crackling", I put some electrician's tape on the frame to prevent them from touching it, tested from inside the truck, I could not hear it anymore. I put everything back together then when I listened to it from inside the car the crackling was still there. I had to stop because because of the rain.

This is VERY annoying and obvious especially during commercials when you go from voice only to complete silence to music, etc.
It does not happen if you are listening to a talk show for example and the person speaking does not have a booming voice. As soon as you got a little bass going it's back.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Old July 26th, 2011, 10:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

cheap speaker paper cone. replace with a set of appropriate sized Sony X Plode or Blaupunkt with polymer cones and you wont have this problem. Speakers are weaker than the head unit so this is what happens.
Old July 26th, 2011, 10:16 PM
CF Veteran

Or Bose, GM has great BOSE speakers for Cadillac
Old July 27th, 2011, 7:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was afraid that might be the case.
The stupid thing is that I never play loud music, it's mostly talk shows.

I'm not sure if this is still covered under warranty. I have a feeling it was a 3 year deal which expired last month.

Any ideas where I can get the specs for the speakers? Should I just go to BestBuy and have them installed rather than myself or the dealer?
Old July 27th, 2011, 10:09 AM
CF Veteran

You can get the specs online from Crutchfield or places like that, Best Buy too. Sears, PepBoys. They sell and install.