Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

Speaker Static In Driver's Door

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2008, 9:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker Static In Driver's Door

My Neighbor's 2001 Monte Carlo SS has a problem with the speaker in the drivers door. Just opening the door causes a loud static noise and it doesn't go away for a few minutes, may stay longer and occasionally doesn't start up until after driving. Symptoms: Radio on or off, interior lights on or off, key in ignition or not,the static is not consistant, sometimes it doesn't make any noise and then it starts up again while driving. There is some "Popping" occasionally within the static too.

I'm leaning towards a bad amp in the radio but,however, the computer (and chimes/alerts) goes through the speaker too -- Is there anything else I can check?

Thanks for any help!
Old May 21st, 2008, 6:43 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Speaker Static In Driver's Door

First thing you need to know is if the car has an amplifier or not. check in the trunk at the rear parcel shelf right inbetween the rear speakers. If it does have an amp, pull the connectors and check for corrosion. also need to check the integrity of the power and ground.You can take a pair of headphones with the plug chopped off, and probe the speaker leads coming from the radio for the LF speaker, if you hear the crackling in the head phones, the noise is related to the radio, or the speaker leads coming from the radio. If no problem is found in the wires, then the radio would be suspected. If you don't hear the crackle, then you should check the wires going the the speaker. If no prblem found, then the amp would be suspected.

If there is no amp, then check the wires going to the speaker from the radio, and again, if no problem with the wires is found, then the radio would be suspected.

One other thing that I see a lot of. If the person has young kids, then the CD slot seems to be a good spot to put nickles dimes and quarters into, if this is the case, take the top off of the radio, and try to shake the money out.

Hope this helps!
Old May 31st, 2008, 7:56 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: shawnvw

First thing you need to know is if the car has an amplifier or not. check in the trunk at the rear parcel shelf right inbetween the rear speakers. If it does have an amp, pull the connectors and check for corrosion. also need to check the integrity of the power and ground.You can take a pair of headphones with the plug chopped off, and probe the speaker leads coming from the radio for the LF speaker, if you hear the crackling in the head phones, the noise is related to the radio, or the speaker leads coming from the radio. If no problem is found in the wires, then the radio would be suspected. If you don't hear the crackle, then you should check the wires going the the speaker. If no prblem found, then the amp would be suspected.

If there is no amp, then check the wires going to the speaker from the radio, and again, if no problem with the wires is found, then the radio would be suspected.

One other thing that I see a lot of. If the person has young kids, then the CD slot seems to be a good spot to put nickles dimes and quarters into, if this is the case, take the top off of the radio, and try to shake the money out.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the info....Ok the Monte SS has an amplifier in the trunk. Do you know what color wires go to the front driver's door speaker? I disconnected the amplifier -- it is basically spring loaded in -- not bolted in. I moved it around to insure a good ground with the install clips. The noise is very low now but you can still hear it.
Old June 8th, 2008, 7:06 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

LF speaker is in connector C1, pins B1 (Lt Grn\Blk), and pin B2 (DK Blu\Wht)
Old July 22nd, 2010, 12:46 PM
CF Beginner

Unhappy 2008 Malibu Screach LF Speaker

Recently I developed a loud irratic Screach noise from my LF speaker and no longer had turn signal sound or chime. I tried swapping the speakers from side to side and it seemed to be fixed but the quality of the sound was poor so I purchased 2 new OE speakers and installed, the noise was gone for about 3 days..AARGH!!! I had noticed that since i recently got back on the XM program there started a click or pop noise when i switched between normal stations and XM, not sure if that is related or not but now i have no sound coming from the NEW LF speaker unless the screaming screach noise come on. it seems to be related to different timers or electrical things in the vehicle but i dont know where to look next?? Can anyone help?
Old October 23rd, 2017, 6:30 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by shawnvw
LF speaker is in connector C1, pins B1 (Lt Grn\Blk), and pin B2 (DK Blu\Wht)
How too I fix static in impala