Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

bad ball joint so soon?

Search this Thread

Old November 16th, 2011, 8:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad ball joint so soon?

only have 52,000 and need to do the ball joints
i know that means the whole control arm, anyone else had this problem
also need to do front brakes and rotors again, did them last year at inspection, dont think i've even changed the rear brakes yet
ready to take it back to the dealership and complain, just did struts, cv, stub shaft seal
Old November 17th, 2011, 9:28 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> What year and type of vehicle do you have? If you want to send me your VIN number and name I can look into this for you.
Breanne
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old November 18th, 2011, 6:17 AM
CF Beginner

04 malibu, bottom model
around 52-53,000 miles
1G1ZS52F14F243084
odomator at last inspection was 32921,
wait, looking at my records, it was the rear brakes and rotors they did last year, now its the fronts, cant remember if those had been done yet, i feel a little better about that now then
so i guess Im just wondering about the ball joints/ control arm, is that normal for that to go bad? it did sit 3 years, maybe the grease went bad
thanks for the help
Old November 21st, 2011, 9:53 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> d.lebherz84,
Unfortunately we cannot say when it is normal for parts to go bad. There are different individual factors to be considered for each vehicle, for example terrain and conditions the vehicle is operated. I would recommend following the Maintenance Schedule in the owner's manual.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old November 30th, 2011, 1:25 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Unfortunately we cannot say when it is normal for parts to go bad. There are different individual factors to be considered for each vehicle, for example terrain and conditions the vehicle is operated. I would recommend following the Maintenance Schedule in the owner's manual.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Sure you can, when the design is bad like on this vehicle, the parts go bad on a regular, predictable basis. Usually every 50,000 miles for ball joints and control arm on a 04-07 'Z' Malibu & Malibu Maxx. Not to mention steering shafts, rack & pinions, and just about any part related to the electric steering on these vehicles. They all typically need replacement at 35,000-45,000 miles.

By the way, I've had all the recommended maintenance done at a Chevrolet dealership.
Old October 26th, 2012, 12:31 PM
CF Beginner

I drive an 09 Malibu with 69,000 miles. I have already had to replace the struts on the car and now the control arm / ball joints are bad. Seems like a lot of issues for a 3 year old car.
Old October 26th, 2012, 3:25 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum...
I would agree that it does seem premature, though you have almost double the average miles driven for a 3 year old car...
Old November 20th, 2012, 2:49 PM
CF Beginner

I'm sorry but some of think 30,000 on brakes is normal?
And ball joints too?

Although I have replaced brake pads on another car in that amount of miles, I think there was something wrong with the pads, since they ones I replaces them with are still on at 50,000.

I have a 2005 with over 100,000 and still have the orginal struts, ball joints, and rear brakes. I don't know what the manual says to replace the rear brakes at. I'll replace when they are wore out. Most likely at 125,000 and more. The rear last forever.

Maybe you guys have a bad lot. Other than replacing a fuel pump and thermostat, I've had no issues and the car is running great.
Old November 20th, 2012, 2:57 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Brake pad replacement interval isn't really definable, its all based on the users driving habits...
Ball Joints to some extent are also user defined in that driving habits, the joint maintenance, tire care and tire size can affect the life....

If the ball joints are not greased or the boot is torn and not repaired, exposed to water and dirt they won't last... even a bad alignment can wear on them....
Old February 5th, 2013, 9:36 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 10 model with a popping noise on the right. I was told its the mount but the dealer said they all do that, lmbo. Yeah right. I told if if so, the need to pull the rest of the bad Malibu's off the lot. I need BBB info ASAP.