Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

1999 Silverado won't start Need help please

Search this Thread

Old March 12th, 2014, 7:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Silverado won't start Need help please

I am needing some help . I'm stumped . I have a 1999 Silverado 5.3l automatic . It will not start at the ignition switch. You can jump out the cellinoid at the starter and it will start and run fine . If you drive down the road it takes off in second gear and will not shift into over drive . Also the instrument cluster is not working correctly . The only gauges that are working are the voltage and oil pressure . If you press and hold the reset for the odometer then all the gauges start working fine . I hooked up a matco scan tool and it wouldn't read . It kept saying the truck wasn't hooked up to the scanner . Any info would be great .
Old March 13th, 2014, 11:35 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

The truck not being hooked up to the scanner is probably a blown fuse. Check the cigarette lighter fuse as the scan port is powered through there. I would check all the fuses as that might be part of your other problems. More than likely you need to repair or replace the instrument cluster or repair the wiring going to it.
Old March 13th, 2014, 6:25 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
The truck not being hooked up to the scanner is probably a blown fuse. Check the cigarette lighter fuse as the scan port is powered through there. I would check all the fuses as that might be part of your other problems. More than likely you need to repair or replace the instrument cluster or repair the wiring going to it.
I checked all fuses and relays and wiring . All looked fine . The truck ran fine . The odometer would stay blank but other then that I never had a problem . It sits parked in the winter but I try to drive it or at least start it a couple times a month . I went to drive it last week and it just wouldn't start. I checked the battery and the starter .
Old December 31st, 2015, 3:02 PM
CF Beginner

[QUOTE=3blacksilverados;270782]I am needing some help . I'm stumped . I have a 1999 Silverado 5.3l automatic . It will not start at the ignition switch. You can jump out the cellinoid at the starter and it will start and run fine . If you drive down the road it takes off in second gear and will not shift into over drive . Also the instrument cluster is not working correctly . The only gauges that are working are the voltage and oil pressure . If you press and hold the reset for the odometer then all the gauges start working fine . I hooked up a matco scan tool and it wouldn't read . It kept saying the truck wasn't hooked up to the scanner . Any info would be great .[/QUOTE DID YOU EVER REAL THIS PROBLEM? I JUST BOUGHT A TRUCK THAT IS DOING THE EXACT SAME THING. I THOUGHTS-N-PRAYERS IT WAS THE IGNITION SWITCH SO I BOUGHT A USED STEERING COLUMN AND NOW I HAVE TO REDO THE SECURITY SYSTEM BUT IT DOESN'T SEEM TO OF FIXED MY PROBLEM
Old January 1st, 2016, 1:47 PM
CF Active Member

[QUOTE=Robbie Saunders;313839]
Originally Posted by 3blacksilverados
I am needing some help . I'm stumped . I have a 1999 Silverado 5.3l automatic . It will not start at the ignition switch. You can jump out the cellinoid at the starter and it will start and run fine . If you drive down the road it takes off in second gear and will not shift into over drive . Also the instrument cluster is not working correctly . The only gauges that are working are the voltage and oil pressure . If you press and hold the reset for the odometer then all the gauges start working fine . I hooked up a matco scan tool and it wouldn't read . It kept saying the truck wasn't hooked up to the scanner . Any info would be great .[/QUOTE DID YOU EVER REAL THIS PROBLEM? I JUST BOUGHT A TRUCK THAT IS DOING THE EXACT SAME THING. I THOUGHTS-N-PRAYERS IT WAS THE IGNITION SWITCH SO I BOUGHT A USED STEERING COLUMN AND NOW I HAVE TO REDO THE SECURITY SYSTEM BUT IT DOESN'T SEEM TO OF FIXED MY PROBLEM
does it crank over and not fire or do you get a no crank,just asking.