Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2000 chevy silverado z-71 windows not working

Search this Thread

Old April 25th, 2012, 6:17 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2000 chevy silverado z-71 windows not working

my switches for my window, door locks, and side view mirrors not working, but the switch that controls the passenger side window works. Just looking for some suggestions.
Old April 25th, 2012, 10:56 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

Always check all fuses first. It's easy and doesn't take long. Then go further if necessary. If fuses are good check the wiring to the switches on your side.
Old April 25th, 2012, 11:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jlewis36
my switches for my window, door locks, and side view mirrors not working, but the switch that controls the passenger side window works. Just looking for some suggestions.
Welcome to the forum. Please clarify. You can't control the driver/passenger power windows, door locks, and outside mirrors using the driver side switches? But, you can control the passenger power window and driver/passenger door locks using the passenger side switches? Are the driver side switches illuminated at night?
Old April 25th, 2012, 11:43 AM
CF Beginner

Smile

Let me try to make this a little easier to understand, because really i'm not much of a car mechanic. My switches on my driver side door that run your windows, door locks,and my side view mirrors have all quit working except the switch for the passenger side window which still is operational.
I've checked fuses and also checked all my connections, the only thing I was having trouble with is there is several wires that plug into the connector that plug into the cluster of switches on the door, not sure which of those wires are supposed to be hot?
Old April 25th, 2012, 5:13 PM
CF Veteran

So, the passenger side switches all work but the driver side switches mostly don't. Since you can work the passenger window from the driver side power window/door lock switch assembly, the ground wire is indeed grounded. Find the DK GRN wire, disconnect the connector it's part of, and then verify battery voltage with the ignition key in any position but OFF. That's for the power windows. As for the door lock switch, find the ORG wire, disconnect the connector it's part of, and then verify battery voltage (should be always present). If there's more than one ORG wire, check them all but expect to find power on one. The mirror switch gets both power and ground from the driver side power window/door lock switch assembly. I rather think there's nothing wrong with the mirror switch.
Old April 26th, 2012, 3:41 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info i'll give it a try today when i get off work. This is really starting to get frustrating! I really don't want to take my truck to the shop if I can help it. I will let you know what I find.
Old April 26th, 2012, 9:31 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pull off switch put paper clip I'm top right (driver side ) if window moves its good do same for bottem right (back) if both windows move buy a switch if not call a friend its something more
You can try advance auto sometimes they will help
Old April 26th, 2012, 9:32 AM
CF Senior Member

Put clip in wires just bump it to see if it moves
Old April 26th, 2012, 10:45 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Doug Roberts
Pull off switch put paper clip I'm top right (driver side ) if window moves its good do same for bottem right (back) if both windows move buy a switch if not call a friend its something more
You can try advance auto sometimes they will help
Originally Posted by Doug Roberts
Put clip in wires just bump it to see if it moves
No, that's probably not a good idea. I assume you aren't familiar with the 2000 Silverado? Besides going against the creed of "first, do no harm" (connector terminal damage is a distinct possibility), I find that shorting random electrical terminals rarely proves anything.
Old April 26th, 2012, 12:14 PM
CF Senior Member

ts not a short lol its closing the connection but its on him mine works seeing how you quote me I won't help anymore you can help him lol