Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

92 1500 power problems HELP

Search this Thread

Old November 12th, 2013, 12:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 1500 power problems HELP

I have a 92 1500 truck. We bought it just over a year ago. This past January, we were having problems with it starting. We replaced the battery which did nothing - had the starter replaced and that solved the problem. Last week, out of nowhere it had trouble starting, but after three or so turns, it started up. Drove it around town that day and after starting up fine after three trips, it died on me in the Lowes parking lot. When we got under and looked, the battery cable to the starter had completely corroded through and had broken off at the starter connection. Kinda wish the mechanic that fixed the starter in the first place had noticed that, but whatever. So, we bought a new battery cable and replaced it. At first, we were having issues with the engine trying to start as soon as we touched the battery cable to the battery, but realized the wires at the starter were touching. Fixed that and it started right up. Drove it home and turned it off/on again with no problems. Now is where I need help….

Went to start the truck this morning and it wouldn't do anything - no clicks, nothing. The dashboard lights and radio were on at first. Tried to turn it over again, and electrical smoke started coming in through the dashboard. Now there are no lights on the radio or dashboard at all. Put in a brand new battery…. nothing. No clicks, no lights on the dashboard, though the overhead light is on. I pulled all the fuses and checked them and they appear to be fine. Now I'm lost though. What could this be???
Old November 12th, 2013, 2:16 PM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

A bad connection under the dash. It could be loose or corroded. The smoke would be coming from that bad connection.
Old November 12th, 2013, 2:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How would I check for that? In doing more searching, I think the problem is that the small cable that runs from the positive battery terminal to the junction box wasn't properly attached. This probably shorted something out, right? Is there a fuse box under the hood somewhere?