Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Engine REALLY overheating

Search this Thread

Old September 15th, 2010, 6:49 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine REALLY overheating

Ok. At first glace i saw my engine really heating up and I thought I just needed some coolant/antifreeze. But I dont. What is happening is my engine will get so hot the CHECK GAUGES light comes on but then, randomly, my engine cools back down to around 190 to 200 degrees. after a couple minutes however, the gauge will go up to around 250-260. Does any one know what this is? And by the way, I checked, There is coolant and the fan is working.
Old September 15th, 2010, 7:08 PM
CF Active Member

Your fan clutch might not be working, you might have a bad thermo stat, or your water pump could be going out. Those are just a few things to start with.
Old September 15th, 2010, 7:22 PM
CF Junior Member

thermostat is working. you may be right about the water pump however. thanks, ill check it now
Old September 16th, 2010, 8:14 PM
CF Junior Member

I checked it last night it the water pump is fine. thermostat is good. and the fan clutch is good too. I know the fans working because even when im going fast on the highway (60-70 mph) and theres lots of air hitting the engine its still on the very hot side of the gauge
Old September 16th, 2010, 10:53 PM
CF Junior Member

is there any water under your engine when you haven't run your a/c and have let your truck set for a while. sometimes when your pump is bad the coolant won't drip straight down. it will run down the engine and drip further back. if u have had your a/c on it is easy to think its your a/c condensation on the ground. if thats not it. have u changed colors of your antifreeze. if you have mixed colors u could just have a clog in your coolant system. then u just need to flush your system out.
Old September 17th, 2010, 4:02 PM
CF Junior Member

there might be a clog. guess I'll have to flush it out and see. still hoping its not the pump. I feel like ive spent enough on a truck that has so many miles
Old September 19th, 2010, 2:37 AM
CF Junior Member

good luck. i hope u get it worked out.
Old September 19th, 2010, 3:25 AM
CF Junior Member

wow, the guy that had this truck before me (4 months ago) put regular coolant in an engine that says DEX-COOL only. Hey thanks for all your help gfd749. Im relieved my pump was okay. now the only thing I have to worry about is a constant stream of power steering fluid I find under my truck when I park. then my truck will be all caught up haha
Old September 19th, 2010, 12:01 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

follow your nose and eyes lol
Old September 19th, 2010, 12:45 PM
CF Junior Member

Haha I will. Im gonna look into the the fluid. Hopefully its just a leak and not my Power-Steering Gearbox going bad

Quick Reply: Engine REALLY overheating