Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Newbie with some questions

Search this Thread

Old December 18th, 2011, 12:16 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newbie with some questions

I just purchased my truck a few days ago. Its a 2001 z71 silverado. I had a few questions. What are some things to do to improve gas mileage if there are any? Will a programmer help with gas mileage? Not saying that it is bad now but i'm always looking to improve. Also what works good for exhaust on these trucks? I dont want a setup that is gonna decrease power or gas mileage if anything i want an exhuast setup that will increase gas mileage and give me more power if possible. I'm also not looking at lifting the truck at this time but want some ideas of things i can do to make the truck look nice, make it something different, if any one has any ideas.

Thanks, sorry for so many questions
Old December 18th, 2011, 12:44 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well 1st off, anything that will increase power will increase fuel consumption.
everything except for a turbocharger, unless you have a heavy foot.

AFA exhausts, this will just be a huge debate we will all take to the grave.
I like flowmaster. Get a true dual 40 series and you will be pleased.
they have a nice deep gurgle, are not going to **** your neighbors off,
they are designed to actually create a negative pressure in the muffler that will in turn pull exhaust out of the engine netting you hp.

1 thing you can do afa increasing mpg is to get smaller tires like 245's.

you can put on a grill guard, tint the windows, or hood and window visors like I have.
you can get mud flaps which a forum member here makes them with custom designs.
Attached Thumbnails Newbie with some questions-imag0792.jpg  

Last edited by Mille Racer 69; December 18th, 2011 at 12:56 AM.
Old December 18th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No programmer will increase mpg, custom tune will net 2 mpg increase on average. I'd put a drop in k&n filter with the air aid MIT tube, not the whole intake, and run a single 3" exhaust with a straight through muffler(dynomax bullet, magnaflow, etc), flowmaster flows only a little better than stock exhaust honestly. And yes goin to a smaller six tire will help, keep air pressures right and do a tune up(plugs,wires,etc). Debadge and demoled the truck, color match a few things and add a billet grille and should look 10x. Better
Old December 18th, 2011, 9:35 PM
CF Active Member

As far ad exhaust I have used flowmaster 40's on other trucks but have never used a dynomax bullet or magnaflow. How do they sound compared to flowmaster and are they louder?

When you say custom tune will get 2 mpg more average what exactly do you mean? Custom tuned setting on a programmer?
Old December 18th, 2011, 9:37 PM
CF Active Member

O and also why do you say not to use the hole air intake to just use the tube?
Old December 19th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Dynomax bullet is really loud, almost like a straight pipe. they're pretty much a resonator but they sound soo good. Magnaflow is a more deeper sound and now as loud IMO. and yes a custom tune, but not from a programmer. the tunes on a programmer are generic ones, a custom tune will be set up for what drivin style you have. Much more detailed. and I say just the tube because the stock boxes flow better and has been proven to get colder air over a actual intake because it goes through the fender away from the heat of the engine.
Old December 20th, 2011, 7:13 PM
CF Active Member

Hmm on the exhaust I will have to try find sound clips of the dynomax bullet, magnaflow and flowmaster to decide which way to go.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 9:52 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by country_09
Dynomax bullet is really loud, almost like a straight pipe. they're pretty much a resonator but they sound soo good. Magnaflow is a more deeper sound and now as loud IMO. and yes a custom tune, but not from a programmer. the tunes on a programmer are generic ones, a custom tune will be set up for what drivin style you have. Much more detailed. and I say just the tube because the stock boxes flow better and has been proven to get colder air over a actual intake because it goes through the fender away from the heat of the engine.
When you say the Magnaflow has a more deeper sound, a deeper sound compared to what muffler?
Old December 22nd, 2011, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

As opposed to the loudness of the bullets
Old December 29th, 2011, 9:16 PM
CF Active Member

On the air intake, your saying use the airaid mit tube http://www.airaid.com/ProductDetail....ductID=200-912 into the stock box/filter setup just run a k&n filter in the box though? Does k&n not sell just the tube?

Last edited by chevy619; December 29th, 2011 at 9:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Newbie with some questions