Go Back   Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums > Current Chevy Trucks, SUV's, Crossovers & Vans > Tahoe & Suburban
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2007, 09:55 PM

Default 03 tahoe cd INITIALIZING

I have a 2003 Tahoe with a factory 6 disc cd changer. Tonight I loaded several new CD's that I burned myself, and everything seemed fine until I attempted to play disc 5 (all the other discs 1-4 were playing with no problem). It seemed to take longer than usual to begin and it sounded as if it were shuffling things around and/or trying to eject. I got the message "initializing", which displayed until I turned off the engine, but the disc never played, nor would it eject or skip to another disc. Help! The only button it seems to respond to is the "load" button, at which time it says "changer full" (or something like that), which it is. It doesn't seem to respond to any other buttons I push. I can play the radio, but I'd like to know what I can do to "reset" the cd changer and/or get this disc out! Any help would be appreciated.
joe [align=right][/align]

Register today for free or log-in if already registered to remove this ad!
Old 01-28-2007, 01:05 PM

Default RE: 03 tahoe cd INITIALIZING

Joe,

I've had the same problem 3-4 times on my '07 Tahoe. The only thing that seemed to work was to stop, turn the truck off, and restart it. I plan to ask my dealer about it at my next oil change. Let us know if you discover a cause and/or solution.

Dave
Old 02-02-2008, 06:29 PM

Any resolution? I got a "me too"
Old 03-08-2008, 06:44 PM
CF Beginner

Have hada similarproblem, Mine says "Check CD" and just spits it out. Took it to a nearby dealership and all they could do is to replace it with a new one for $400 + install of course. They said it was somethinginternal and are incapable of fixing. I'm debating an aftermarket unit but don't want to loseother function such as steering wheel and rear seatcontrols.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

You might try pulling the radio fuse for a few seconds. If the cd starts working again, then there is a software update for these trucks that will fix this issue. If you don't want to pay for the dealer to flash the radio, then just pull the fuse every time this happens.
If pulling the fuse doesn't help, then unfortunately, you will need a radio. If you don't want to pay the $400+ dollars, ask them to put a single disk radio in. The cd mechinisms in the C\K trucks from 01-07(classic style) are very fragile. A lot of bumps, pot holes, off-roading are very hard on them

If you have a question, ask it in the forums. I will no longer be answering questions sent to my email.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:59 PM

There is no software calibration update to address this issue on a multi-disk stereo in an 03 Tahoe.

The copied CD may be faulty, damaged, incompatible or the head unit could be faulty; if so Ebay can be a good source for an inexpensive replacement.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:48 PM
CF Beginner

Exactly what I did. Pulling fuse didn't work and like I said on prev post,even the dealer couldn't fix the problem. Got a Navhead uniton Ebay instead. Installed it 3 days ago and just gotthe theftlock deactivatedby a local audio shop for fitty bucks and Im nowhappy[sm=yeahsmile.gif]. Now if I can just get a manual for it. Any input as to where I can find even a link?
Thank in advance.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:49 PM
CF Beginner

Default 04 tahoe initializing

I have the very same problem on my 2004 Tahoe, one moment working fine, selected to change to disk 5, then it got stuck on initializing.

Looking for remedies
Old 12-17-2011, 03:49 PM

Tags
2003, cd, changer, chevy, disc, flashing, fuse, initializing, multi, radio, remove, reset, stuck, suburban, tahoe