Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

03 Z71 front end noise only in 4wd

Search this Thread

Old December 10th, 2013, 3:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Z71 front end noise only in 4wd

Hello. I have a 03 Suburban z71 that is 4wd not AWD. I have searched the forums and it seems front end noises are common in these cars.

This is my noise & Symptoms:

When the truck is in 4wd hi and driving with foot on gas I can hear a little bit of a whine or moan if I listen carefully- not too bad. Now when I let off the gas it is much more noticed - very noticeable. I have change the diff fluid to synthetic and changed the transfer case fluid at the same time. The seal on the pass side axle was leaking and I changed it and it is leaking again though but I have kept fluid in it and doesn't lose very much.

Would this be a bearing in the differential on the ends or in the gears. I was told there are bearings near the axles or the axle (CV joint) itself.

1 other thing. when the truck is in 2wd and you turn the wheel the whole way to one side it kind of feels like its in 4wd- a little bit maybe this is how its suposed to be? Its been a long time since I have driven a 4wd vehicle and this is my wifes and of course she has no idea if anything has changed.