Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 tahoe ltz dash has cracked????????

Search this Thread

Old September 9th, 2014, 7:34 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by gruvenparts.com
That right is why Im not doing the GM dash replacement (even if they did pay for it). They havent admitted there is even a problem , therefore they havent taken steps to correct it.

It would cost you less to have a decent trim shop cover the dash in a textured vinyl then to replace with another GM dash which would crack again.

Disgraceful engineering and customer service ... that's putting it nicely. 407,000 views of this topic so far.
Remember to add the Trucks (~60k) that suffer the same issue
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/sil...racking-49074/

And the Avalanche (~12k)
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/ava...ed-dash-41801/
Old September 10th, 2014, 4:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That right is why Im not doing the GM dash replacement (even if they did pay for it). They havent admitted there is even a problem , therefore they havent taken steps to correct it.

It would cost you less to have a decent trim shop cover the dash in a textured vinyl then to replace with another GM dash which would crack again.

Disgraceful engineering and customer service ... that's putting it nicely. 407,000 views of this topic so far.
I'm on my 3rd dash. The problem with having a trim shop cover the dash is that the problem is much deeper than the crack. The crack is a symptom of the structural connection points breaking that attach the dash to the body. When the connection points break, the dash flexes and then cracks. Before each of my cracks appeared I found bits of plastic and clips on the floor. Before my second replacement the dash was so loose I could pull it out a few inches and move it around.
Old September 11th, 2014, 9:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Markh
I'm on my 3rd dash. The problem with having a trim shop cover the dash is that the problem is much deeper than the crack. The crack is a symptom of the structural connection points breaking that attach the dash to the body. When the connection points break, the dash flexes and then cracks. Before each of my cracks appeared I found bits of plastic and clips on the floor. Before my second replacement the dash was so loose I could pull it out a few inches and move it around.
Could you post pictures of what you are describing here ?

Perhaps we can machine some corrected mounting structure pieces to rectify this issue.

Have you pulled your dash 3 times, yourself ? If so, do you have a step by step procedure for this ? I am getting ready to do this myself, would appreciate any assistance.

If you can provide details regarding what is needed to correct the mounting structure of the dash, we can build them for you to try out. It would be nice to solve this problem.

Email me if you want - paul at gruvenparts dot com
Old September 19th, 2014, 8:26 PM
CF Beginner

Could you post pictures of what you are describing here ?

Perhaps we can machine some corrected mounting structure pieces to rectify this issue.

Have you pulled your dash 3 times, yourself ? If so, do you have a step by step procedure for this ? I am getting ready to do this myself, would appreciate any assistance.

If you can provide details regarding what is needed to correct the mounting structure of the dash, we can build them for you to try out. It would be nice to solve this problem.

Email me if you want - paul at gruvenparts dot com
I didn't pull the dash myself and don't have a picture. From my recollection, the pieces of plastic were all 1/4"-1/2" in size and a few had metal clips that appeared to be retainers. I would periodically find the pieces in the floor beginning just prior to the dash cracking. It appeared that it was a molded part of the dash itself that just crumbled most likely due to extended exposure to Florida heat. The dealer always said that the cracks were from direct sunlight UV type damage. Mine was always garage parked and out of the sun both at home and at the office although it can get very hot inside the garage.

It is a huge job to remove the dash. When the dealers first started doing them it was 8 hours although they said they got a little faster the more of them they did. My Service Manager showed me one that they had fully disassembled the last time I was in and it looked like a substantial job. Of course if you want to try to solve the problem that may be the oly way to do it.
Old September 23rd, 2014, 11:20 AM
CF Beginner

Default Ryan

hello,
I as well noticed the other day as I was driving my wife's 2010 Yukon SLT through my paved work parking lot that my dash sounded like it was vibrating and rattling. I looked up there and noticed 2 cracks in the notorious top left corner of the airbag and the right side of the hump. This vehicle is 4 yrs old with 80k. This vehicle is always parked in the garage and never seen a gravel road (this is how its taken care of. And Never ever on any of my vehicles do I use armour all because I hate the greasy look. Will GM cover this cost since it's so common? Obviously these are stress points because there's no support behind the middle section inbetween the cracks.
Old September 23rd, 2014, 4:57 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi Ryan,

Is your wife the original owner of the 2010 Yukon? We're sorry to hear you've encountered a cracked dash. If you'd like to PM us your VIN, full contact information and preferred dealership name we'd be happy to explore possible repair options with your dealership.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old September 24th, 2014, 6:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will GM cover this cost since it's so common? Obviously these are stress points because there's no support behind the middle section inbetween the cracks.

gooooooooooood luck. this thread wouldnt have a billion views if they would. Maybe "Amber N." will help you though
Old September 24th, 2014, 6:22 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by rtalley@nevada.k12.mo.us
hello,
I as well noticed the other day as I was driving my wife's 2010 Yukon SLT through my paved work parking lot that my dash sounded like it was vibrating and rattling. I looked up there and noticed 2 cracks in the notorious top left corner of the airbag and the right side of the hump. This vehicle is 4 yrs old with 80k. This vehicle is always parked in the garage and never seen a gravel road (this is how its taken care of. And Never ever on any of my vehicles do I use armour all because I hate the greasy look. Will GM cover this cost since it's so common? Obviously these are stress points because there's no support behind the middle section inbetween the cracks.
Hi Ryan, I would not count on them to cover it. We are all on here together, they will offer you a "discounted" price to fix it. Between 300-500. Greay deal isn't it
Dan Shapiro
Old September 24th, 2014, 8:20 AM
CF Beginner

I'm new to this. Where do I send Amber a PM. Where is her email address located?
Old September 24th, 2014, 8:50 AM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by rtalley@nevada.k12.mo.us
I'm new to this. Where do I send Amber a PM. Where is her email address located?
Welcome to the forum.

Find one of Amber's posts and click on her screen name. You'll get a drop down menu with aPM option.

Quick Reply: 2007 tahoe ltz dash has cracked????????