Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Another dead air ride compressor

Search this Thread

Old August 18th, 2014, 6:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another dead air ride compressor

So I had my air compressor rebuilt twice now. What is a good replacement/upgrade I can put in instead of rebuilding again.
Old August 19th, 2014, 7:37 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aside from looking at a place like gmpartsdirect and buying a new genuine gm part, I would google arnott industries and see what they have.
Old August 19th, 2014, 7:51 AM
CF Beginner

I used to do a lot of air suspensions on lowered show trucks. So I actually have a vair compressor sitting in my garage. I wonder if I could wire that in to it...
Old August 19th, 2014, 8:16 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not 100% sure that would work. There is a controller that controls the compressor and the vent solenoid (I think it is what it is called), so if it doesn't wire up the same, it probably wouldn't function right.

The other issue would be what if it blew up the air shocks you have on there currently? Then your replacing a compressor and shocks. Probably not worth the potential savings.

Arnott also makes a kit that deletes all of the airride stuff, so you might want to look into that. But now that I am thinking about it, maybe your air shocks are already toast, which is making the compressor fail?

When I bought my truck (used), one of the things the dealer replaced when they got it in (on trade) was the air compressor because it had thrown codes for it. After reading into it, turns out that one reason the compressor fails is the airbags on the shocks are shot, and the compressor runs all the time. I looked at mine and they looked ok, but since I was going to use the vehicle to tow, and because the compressor isn't cheap and it was brand new, I decided to replace the shocks. Was not cheap either (for the shocks). When I pulled them off, both bags on both shocks were completely shot. So I am guessing if I had left them, the compressor may have failed again as well.

So check the shocks. If they aren't holding air or the bags are ripped, you might need both anyways. And at that point you might decide to do the air ride delete.

FWIW, I got replacement rear oem shocks from arnott and so far so good. I recently changed the front struts as well, but I didn't go with oem because I didn't have the cash to do so, and just cut the sensor wires up front and wired in a resistor. Fronts aren't controlled by a compressor (at least on my truck), just the oems have some special fluid that can change the dampening of the shock when voltage is applied (so i've been told). I'll probably go back to oem up front eventually, but for now this does the job.
Old August 19th, 2014, 2:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Default Discount Code for Arnott Air Suspension Compressors

A long time ago Arnott rebuilt compressors but they were never as reliable as we wanted so now we only sell new OES (Original Equipment Supplier) air suspension compressors. https://www.arnottindustries.com/par...LET_yid11.html

You can use code GMSAVE10 to save up to 10%* off the retail prices on Arnott® replacement air suspension products for your GM vehicle. You can place your order online at the Arnott Web Store or by calling Arnott Customer Support at 1-800-251-8993 X 804 Mon – Friday from 8:00 AM to 7:00 PM ET. Orders placed by 2:30 ET are typically shipped out the same day.

*Max savings $75 per order, not valid with any other offer or on shipping, taxes or core deposits (if any).