Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Retractable running boards

Search this Thread

Old April 11th, 2007, 5:18 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retractable running boards

I recently bought an '07 tahoe that came with the retractable running boards and have had problems with them the whole time. Sometimes the don't come down, sometimes they only go half way up then make a "thumping" sound every 30 seconds until I open and close my door 3-10 times to try and reset it. i have taken it in to the two seperate dealers and both have told me they have only seen one or two Tahoes that had the retractable running boards so they dont know much about them. So, they just reset the program but the problem persists then they tell me they need to contact corporate and will get back in touch with me to try and find the problem. Well after over a month of waiting and them dodging my phone calls Im running out of ideas, Ive search the internet looking for similiar problems but it seems I was the only person who bought a Tahoe with these running boards. Any suggestions, fixes or ideas?
Old April 11th, 2007, 12:00 PM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: Retractable running boards

Try taking it to a another, bigger dealer who's mechanics probably have dealt with these.Demand they fix it or replace them.

I passed on the steps thinking they would be a maintenance headache and problem with snow and ice. I feel bad you're going through this but at the same time I am nowhappy I made the decision I did.
Old April 11th, 2007, 1:30 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Retractable running boards

I have had purchase the power assisted steps from Camino Real Chevrolet in SoCal. They also did the install andI have not experienced any problems and the steps work great. Maybe it was the way the steps were installed. I agree with doo600, take it to a bigger dealership that has mechanics who have worked on these steps before.