Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

ZX what is your opinion on a Liquid Vac to change oil and tranny oil

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2008, 10:10 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZX what is your opinion on a Liquid Vac to change oil and tranny oil

I have a liquid vac (suction pump used to vacuum oil) that I used to change the oil on a Chrysler Crossfire (hey what can i say it was an impulsive mid-life crisis toy). I also use it on my HD Road King. The question is can I use this pump to change the oil on my '07 Tahoe? It looks like it is a straight shot to the oil pan through the dipstick for both the oil and the tranny fluid as the dipstick does not have any heavy bends. ZX what do you think? I know the oil sludge issue, but the pump actually has very good suction and i believe it to be adequate. The oil vacuum, while not as quick as a drain, is a clean and easy way to change and transport used oil.
Old January 9th, 2008, 10:23 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ZX what is your opinion on a Liquid Vac to change oil and tranny oil

Should pose no problem or issues.
I would just recommend that you first check the oil level (6qt capacity) and after completing the vacuum process make sure that you got about 6qts of oil out.
Most boat recreational motors are done in this manner.
Old January 10th, 2008, 6:38 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ZX what is your opinion on a Liquid Vac to change oil and tranny oil

Thanks ZX
The crossfire held 8 qts of oil and it took about an hour to get it out, but once you set the suction you can watch tvand come out and repump the vacuum to pull the rest of the oil...change the KN oil filter and you are done... should not get too dirty and no oil spillage from the oil drain plug (as you know the thing drains with a lot of force and almost always overshoots the oil drain pan below....
Old January 10th, 2008, 6:53 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh I know.

I figure that if I have to crawl under to change out the filter I may as well pop the plug while I'm under there, I normaly let the oil drain for 30 minutes or more while I drive to the parts store to buy the oil filter that I forgot to get earlier.