Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Slow coolant leak ....

Search this Thread

Old June 17th, 2011, 3:18 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Slow coolant leak ....

My '07 Uplander (40k miles) recently started leaking a small amount of fluid under the motor. I had the van undercoated recently and thought it might just be dripping a little. Today I got under the front end and felt a drop of the fluid.. it was Dex-cool. I touched a drop to my tongue and it tasted quite sweet, coolant for sure. The dealer confirmed this afternoon that the crossover pipe was leaking ( TSB #07-06-02-006A ) and will be fixed next Tuesday under warranty.

Last edited by Papa Bear; June 18th, 2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old June 21st, 2011, 12:38 PM
CF Senior Member

Picked up the van at lunchtime, looks and runs like new.
They put in fresh Dex-Cool. I'll monitor for leaks and/or coolant loss and keep you posted.
Old May 9th, 2014, 9:28 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3 year bump alert !

I asked permission from PB to bump this as a form of update on the ever abundant coolant crossover pipe gasket leak.

So Papa Bear, it's been about 3 years since the leak was fixed-is the leak still fixed? I've read many complaints that dealership crossover leak repairs reappear after a year or two so I'm just curious, thanks buddy.

Continue reading for personal dealership rant:

My 2008 Cargo Uplander has a slow small leak at the back of the crossover pipe. Unfortunately the van is out of warranty and the local dealership, after charging me $110 for diagnostic, aka simple pressure test!-was adamant that the water pump was leaking and nowhere else.

I asked them how the water pump, which is front and low on the engine could be the source of the leak when the coolant is high and rear on the engine, a known TSB trouble spot. They had no answer.

Well a longtime friend is a 30year pro mechanic and did his own pressure test. Whaddayaknow?? No leaking water pump at all, not even at the weep hole!

His observation- Dealership attempt to charge for water pump replacement then call me to say "Oh! You're right, there is ALSO a crossover pipe (or head gasket depending on their level of crookedness) that we'll have to replace while you're in here already". Really ticked off at GM at this point so we'll be changing the crossover gaskets ourselves soon.
Old May 9th, 2014, 12:21 PM
CF Senior Member

No leak so far .....

Did a coolant drain & fill last summer (2013) and all seems well under the hood.
Old May 11th, 2014, 2:27 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Default Intermittent Coolant Leak

My 2008 Uplander has had an intermittent coolant leak for the last couple of years. There will be about a 1/4 cup or less of coolant on the radiator shroud directly in line with the serpentine belt. It is never on the back side of the engine on the firewall. I have washed it off and looked for a leak several times. It may do it twice in week, or I may go months without seeing any. I have added about 2 quarts of coolant over the last year. I thought it would be the water pump, but like I said I haven't been able to find where it is coming from. Any ideas? The vehicle has 103,000 miles on it and it is time to change the coolant, but I would really like to fix the leak first.
Old May 11th, 2014, 6:16 AM
CF Senior Member

Did you have the coolant system pressure tested?
Old May 11th, 2014, 9:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Autozone might have one for borrowing

https://www.google.com/search?q=stan...ressure+tester
Old May 11th, 2014, 1:24 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Default pressure tester

No just checked it while it was warm and running. I will check with the local auto parts store and see if they have one to loan.
Old May 12th, 2014, 7:55 AM
CF Active Member

I should get mine back this evening, I just didn't have the desire to tackle this myself.

But one of the metal/rubber crossover pipe gaskets did have a ruptured o ring insert causing the slow leak.
Old October 26th, 2015, 10:43 AM
CF Beginner

Default Did you find the leak source?

Originally Posted by sciaky05
My 2008 Uplander has had an intermittent coolant leak for the last couple of years. There will be about a 1/4 cup or less of coolant on the radiator shroud directly in line with the serpentine belt. It is never on the back side of the engine on the firewall. I have washed it off and looked for a leak several times. It may do it twice in week, or I may go months without seeing any. I have added about 2 quarts of coolant over the last year. I thought it would be the water pump, but like I said I haven't been able to find where it is coming from. Any ideas? The vehicle has 103,000 miles on it and it is time to change the coolant, but I would really like to fix the leak first.
Did you find out where it was leaking?