Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

1997 Silverado 5.7 weird starting issue

Search this Thread

Old January 31st, 2019, 4:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Silverado 5.7 weird starting issue

1997 Silverado 5.7 extended cab k1500 4x4. 153,000 miles. Here is the scoop. When I start the truck in the driveway after sitting(3rd vehicle) it starts right up. After driving it takes 2-3-4 seconds of engine cranking to turn over. Almost like it is not getting fuel before starting. I replaced the fuel pump and sender a little over a year ago after the old one quit.
The result was instant starting. Over time that replacement started to show signs of the same symptoms I am experiencing now. Replaced that pump and am now back to the delayed start.
I kind of feel like it is only a matter of time before I get stranded.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old January 31st, 2019, 5:42 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you checked the fuel pressure? Unless you got a very unreliable fuel pump (Airtex comes to mind - they don't have stellar reputation) I would go back to basics. When was the last tuneup (plugs, wires, etc)? Worn plugs can cause extended cranking. Just a thought.
Old February 1st, 2019, 7:42 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Doug D
Have you checked the fuel pressure? Unless you got a very unreliable fuel pump (Airtex comes to mind - they don't have stellar reputation) I would go back to basics. When was the last tuneup (plugs, wires, etc)? Worn plugs can cause extended cranking. Just a thought.

I don’t remember the brand of fuel pump I installed. It was purchased from Oreilly.
It has been a couple of years since in purchased the truck. I had done plugs and wires at that time. Will check. I only drive the truck about 5-10,000 miles a year.
would warm/ hot plugs make a difference. It starts great cold. It also started good right after each pump change.
Old February 4th, 2019, 7:59 AM
CF Beginner

[QUOTE=Ted Brewer;370105]

Checked the plugs. Somewhat fowled so I swapped them out with ACDelco OEM spec platinum plugs.
had to run out to my hunt club yesterday afternoon. She started fine at the house. Drove an hour to get there. Long crank start after sitting for 2 hours up there while I worked. Drove back towards home. After 30 min stopped at the store. Started fine.
I will check the fuel pressure when I get a chance.
Old February 4th, 2019, 4:12 PM
CF Beginner

Here is the fuel pressure test results.
Key on it spikes to 60 psi and the falls off.
Started it settles in right at 50 psi but the rise in pressure was what I would say was slow. It was long cranking during this start cycle. Revving it spikes to 55 psi and then settles back at 50 psi.
I am going to rest in the morning. It usually starts fine after sitting overnight

Old March 9th, 2019, 3:38 PM
CF Beginner

Well.....
after the lower psi I was getting I switched out the fuel pump to an OEM delco. Truck cranked fine for a few days and on shorter trips.
Slightly longer cranks after longer trips( 1 hr).
today I went up to my hunt club. Cranked immediately right up at the house.1.25 hr drive. Went to leave that property and head to another. Slightly longer crank time (1-2 sec) than first start of the day.
left that property and headed to the club house. About the same crank as the last. After 2 hours at the club house crank was 4-5 seconds. I would be lying if I didn’t say I started to worry during that cranking session.
All this leads me to be very confused. I will get the pressure tester from the auto parts store tomorrow and check it again. When I did that last time and got low pressure it didn’t matter if i checked it first thing in the morning( immediate crank) of after driving( longer crank) it had the same low pressure
Old March 10th, 2019, 1:20 PM
CF Beginner

Today’s update.
fuel pressure at 52 psi at the test port. While running. It spikes to 60 at start up and the settled at 52. This is the same psi the last pump was at while running before replacing with the new ac delco oem pump. This is leading me to believe it is not the pumps that are the problem.
Thoughts?
I have been reading on the forum here about others with fuel delivery problems and the wiring connector comes up. Is that connector on the pump side of the connection or the engine side?
Would a bad connector lead to reduced voltage at the pump and thus lower fuel flow ( ie lower fuel pressure)?
I had read that spec psi for the 5.7 is 62-65. None of the pumps I have put in have gotten me that.

Last edited by Ted Brewer; March 10th, 2019 at 3:38 PM.
Old March 10th, 2019, 3:27 PM
CF Beginner

I jumped the 30 to 87 pins in the fuel pump replay and get a steady 60 psi

anyone have this issue and resolved it by replacing the fuel pressure Regulator?

Last edited by Ted Brewer; March 10th, 2019 at 3:39 PM.
Old March 10th, 2019, 3:44 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

when was the last time the filter was changed
Old March 10th, 2019, 4:28 PM
CF Beginner

Today.
52 psi running before filter change and the same after.
previous pump tested the same