Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Best throwout bearing?

Search this Thread

Old February 22nd, 2018, 6:26 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best throwout bearing?

1993 K1500 5.7 5-speed manual. Chevy dealer installed new clutch w/throwout bearing 3.5 years ago along with a new tranny, now the throwout bearing has failed, screeching big-time. Same dealer quoted today $1100 to replace the bearing since no warranty left.
I assume they installed an AC Delco bearing? Never had any throughout bearing go bad like this one has.
Any thoughts on the best bearings today?
Old February 22nd, 2018, 7:41 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

AC Delco, National and Timken are good brands. At $1100, I would do it myself, that is robbery for a part that is less than $50. You can also go to a smaller shop and get it done for much cheaper.
Old February 22nd, 2018, 12:10 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
AC Delco, National and Timken are good brands. At $1100, I would do it myself, that is robbery for a part that is less than $50. You can also go to a smaller shop and get it done for much cheaper.
Thanks oldchevy. I was leaning towards Timken. Heard that some China junk being sold through National. No way will this dealer screw this up again at any price. I am toying with the idea of doing it myself like I did as a younger shade-tree mechanic, with a box of tools and a floor jack.
Old February 22nd, 2018, 3:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

curious how many miles since it was changed?
Old February 23rd, 2018, 1:05 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Shade-tree
1993 K1500 5.7 5-speed manual. Chevy dealer installed new clutch w/throwout bearing 3.5 years ago along with a new tranny, now the throwout bearing has failed, screeching big-time. Same dealer quoted today $1100 to replace the bearing since no warranty left.
I assume they installed an AC Delco bearing? Never had any throughout bearing go bad like this one has.
Any thoughts on the best bearings today?
You got ripped off man. If I am going to pull a manual transmission, the throw-out bearing is getting tossed as well. Years ago some brands came with throw-out bearings that you could grease, but the manufacturers of light vehicles have eliminated most greaseable joints and bearings with sealed lifetime bearings and U-joints, ect..Its has ALWAYS been common practice to put a new TO bearing in when replacing or working on a tranny or a clutch.

You might think about taking them to small claims court if they refuse to repair your vehicle. BTW, $1100 dollars is WAY overpriced to begin with. Hell, those cheap ********'s probably didn't even flush your clutch master cylinder out and replace it with fresh DOT 3 or DOT 4 fluid. If you can get a professional mechanic to sign off on the long understood fact that TO bearings ALWAYS get replaced with a clutch replacement, it would go well for you in court. Good luck to you!

Last edited by oilcanhenry; February 23rd, 2018 at 1:08 AM.
Old February 23rd, 2018, 1:20 AM
CF Monarch

Thanks oldchevy. I was leaning towards Timken. Heard that some China junk being sold through National. No way will this dealer screw this up again at any price. I am toying with the idea of doing it myself like I did as a younger shade-tree mechanic, with a box of tools and a floor jack.
I wouldn't do that, particularly with a four wheel drive having to deal with two drive-lines and a transfer case. Take them to court, as I indicated below. No mechanic worth
his money would have put in a new clutch and transmission without chucking the throw-out bearing as well. On the bottom of the TO bearing there is a brake-style
bleeder. I change my fluid out every few years, but that has nothing to do with the grease that is packed into a throw-out bearing in your case. Sue these incompetent
people.
Old February 23rd, 2018, 3:48 AM
CF Beginner

Small town dealership, law suit not practical.

So far, I've only spoken to the service manager - a new employee, been at the dealership for only 2 months.

I will be talking to the owner of the dealership, whom I know through our local car club.
Will it be news to him that my truck has been in his shop with this T/O bearing problem?
Might be an interesting conversation.

Maybe he'll do what's right. Maybe not. Small town.
Old February 23rd, 2018, 10:41 PM
CF Monarch

Small town dealership, law suit not practical.

So far, I've only spoken to the service manager - a new employee, been at the dealership for only 2 months.

I will be talking to the owner of the dealership, whom I know through our local car club.
Will it be news to him that my truck has been in his shop with this T/O bearing problem?
Might be an interesting conversation.

Maybe he'll do what's right. Maybe not. Small town.
I understand. I grew up in a small town myself. Everyone knows everyones business and if you **** someone off
it gets around fast.I forgot to ask but did they install a new TO bearing that might havesimply gone bad?

Lots of shops are using cheap parts made in China or other countries. Rock auto has the genine replacement GM T-O bearing
for $ 42.89, The Timken is cheaper but I dontknow if they are made in the USA anymore, probably
why its cheaper.
Old February 24th, 2018, 6:13 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
I understand. I grew up in a small town myself. Everyone knows everyones business and if you **** someone off
it gets around fast.I forgot to ask but did they install a new TO bearing that might havesimply gone bad?

Lots of shops are using cheap parts made in China or other countries. Rock auto has the genine replacement GM T-O bearing
for $ 42.89, The Timken is cheaper but I dontknow if they are made in the USA anymore, probably
why its cheaper.
Yes, bearing part# 19245400 $78.86, which I assume was either an AC Delco or GM part number. ($1000 charged in clutch-related parts and labor when the transmission was replaced)

Dealer warranty disclaimer as written on receipt;
" All warranties on the products sold hereby are those made by the manufacturer. The selling dealer hereby expressly disclaims all warranties... etc, etc.

The service manager said the bearing warranty had expired after 3 years, which is why the dealership message is clear:
" We're sorry Mr. D, but you're just **** out of luck"