Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Carb to TBI swap

Search this Thread

Old November 15th, 2019, 12:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Carb to TBI swap

I bought a 1994 K1500 Z71 stepside that had been swapped with a carburetor... I'm attempting to swap it back to stock TBI... I have the Intake manifold, Throttle Body, most of the connectors, and most of the air cleaner housing... The stock wireing harness is still there so that makes it easier, but I'm not sure about the wires to the actual injectors in the Throttle Body or where to run them to... Any tips, pictures, diagrams, and advice is much appreciated. Thanks
Old November 15th, 2019, 11:27 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Reconyx_01
I bought a 1994 K1500 Z71 stepside that had been swapped with a carburetor... I'm attempting to swap it back to stock TBI... I have the Intake manifold, Throttle Body, most of the connectors, and most of the air cleaner housing... The stock wireing harness is still there so that makes it easier, but I'm not sure about the wires to the actual injectors in the Throttle Body or where to run them to... Any tips, pictures, diagrams, and advice is much appreciated. Thanks
I'll see what I can dig up. They have to sync up with the ignition system and the ECM, I would think. It unfortunate that they were removed from the pickup.
Old November 17th, 2019, 4:52 AM
CF Monarch

I found this information IRT your conversion back to a TBI unit from a carbuerator. I hope the information contained therein will help you to convert your 1994 Chevy back to an operational TBI fueled pickup, Reconyx_01.

https://fuelinjectionconnection.com/gpage5.html
The following users liked this post:
Reconyx_01 (November 21st, 2019)
Old November 21st, 2019, 2:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fuel injector connectors still wired up

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
I found this information IRT your conversion back to a TBI unit from a carbuerator. I hope the information contained therein will help you to convert your 1994 Chevy back to an operational TBI fueled pickup, Reconyx_01.

https://fuelinjectionconnection.com/gpage5.html
I was digging around in the engine bay and found the connectors that plug in on top of the fuel injectors were still hooked up to the wiring harness... The person that swapped the TBI to carb just left them wired in the harness hanging, thank God for that.
The following users liked this post:
oilcanhenry (November 21st, 2019)
Old November 21st, 2019, 7:09 PM
CF Monarch

I was digging around in the engine bay and found the connectors that plug in on top of the fuel injectors were still hooked up to the wiring harness... The person that swapped the TBI to carb just left them wired in the harness hanging, thank God for that.
Glad to hear it. That's what I would have done too.
Old November 25th, 2019, 12:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The injector wires go straight to the ECM. Find a pinout for your vehicle year. #1 injector is usually on the blue connector, and the remaining injectors are usually on the red connector. There is a hot going to each and a signal wire. There is a connector that sits inside the harness of the spider. The cylinder numbers are on the spider assembly and inside the manifold, so it's pretty easy to match everything up and trace the wires back. If you don't already have the injector assembly, get the MPFI one.

Here's a connector pinout for the ECM for any lurkers. It sounds like you won't need to do any wiring with the original harness intact.
https://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/gm...ctor-pin-out-1