Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

changing oil cooler lines part numbers

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2023, 2:20 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing oil cooler lines part numbers

I have been thinking of eliminating the oil cooler lines on my 1990 K2500 350 for some time. I am due an oil change & have decided to eliminate them. I know I need the Melling adapter, two bolts for the adapter, two ⅜, (I think), pipe plugs for the radiator, a gasket, and a different size filter that will work with the adapter. Does anyone know the part numbers for these parts? I found two bolts online for $16. Are these made out of some kind of super steel to cost that much????
Old May 17th, 2023, 2:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 266 Likes on 232 Posts

Generally speaking the factory oil filter will work with or without an oil cooler adapter, so you should be able to use the same filter you’re currently using. The replacement adapter will bolt to the block and the filter gasket will seal in the same area as the cooler adapter did.

3/8” pipe plugs should be correct, but another option for plugging the radiator ports is to cut the lines off close to the radiator (approx 1” away) and then cap the lines with vacuum caps and a thin layer of RTV or liquid gasket.

Nothing special about the adapter bolts aside from who you get them from. They are 5/16x18x1-1/4” hex bolts - available from any hardware store. Are you sure the Melling adapter doesn’t include them?

Originally Posted by flh69
I have been thinking of eliminating the oil cooler lines on my 1990 K2500 350 for some time. I am due an oil change & have decided to eliminate them. I know I need the Melling adapter, two bolts for the adapter, two ⅜, (I think), pipe plugs for the radiator, a gasket, and a different size filter that will work with the adapter. Does anyone know the part numbers for these parts? I found two bolts online for $16. Are these made out of some kind of super steel to cost that much????
Old May 17th, 2023, 6:08 PM
CF Veteran

I forgot to add you should make sure the bolts are grade 5 or grade 8.

Most hardware stores have a limited selection of auto grade flange bolts that are already grade 5 or 8.
Old May 19th, 2023, 5:07 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Gumby22
Generally speaking the factory oil filter will work with or without an oil cooler adapter, so you should be able to use the same filter you’re currently using. The replacement adapter will bolt to the block and the filter gasket will seal in the same area as the cooler adapter did.

3/8” pipe plugs should be correct, but another option for plugging the radiator ports is to cut the lines off close to the radiator (approx 1” away) and then cap the lines with vacuum caps and a thin layer of RTV or liquid gasket.

Nothing special about the adapter bolts aside from who you get them from. They are 5/16x18x1-1/4” hex bolts - available from any hardware store. Are you sure the Melling adapter doesn’t include them?
I am confused. I just got the adapter & filter, bolts & gasket. The picture shows the adapter & filter. What else is need to attach the filter to the adapter or is that already on the oem adapter on the truck. As you can tell I am not a mechanic.

Old May 19th, 2023, 7:25 PM
CF Veteran

I may be misunderstanding the situation, so here’s more detail:

I recall a previous thread about your cooler lines. Am I mistaken in thinking you have a sandwich plate style adapter for the oil cooler? If so then it’s bolted in place of where the oil filter will be once it’s removed.

See picture below - this is the block without an oil cooler adapter.

The filter adapter is bolted to the center of the bore. The red arrow marks the filter bung. The blue arrow marks where the oil filter gasket will seal against the block.

It sounds like you have everything you need to delete.

EDIT: Here’s the picture I meant to attach the first time.

Red = Filter bung
Blue = Filter gasket surface

Last edited by Gumby22; May 19th, 2023 at 7:28 PM.
Old May 20th, 2023, 5:20 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Gumby22
I may be misunderstanding the situation, so here’s more detail:

I recall a previous thread about your cooler lines. Am I mistaken in thinking you have a sandwich plate style adapter for the oil cooler? If so then it’s bolted in place of where the oil filter will be once it’s removed.

See picture below - this is the block without an oil cooler adapter.

The filter adapter is bolted to the center of the bore. The red arrow marks the filter bung. The blue arrow marks where the oil filter gasket will seal against the block.

It sounds like you have everything you need to delete.

EDIT: Here’s the picture I meant to attach the first time.

Red = Filter bung
Blue = Filter gasket surface
Thank you very much for the info. I see now how it works. When I received these parts yesterday I was totally confused. This adapter actually goes up inside the block. Thanks again.