Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

GCVWR for 1998 Silverado???

Search this Thread

Old July 11th, 2020, 4:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GCVWR for 1998 Silverado???

Hoping someone can help me out. I've contacted the local Chevy Dealer as well as Chevrolet HQ. Both told me my truck is "too old" and they don't keep data for 1998 vehicles.

I'm looking for the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating (GCVWR) as established by G.M., for my truck that my Dad (R.I.P.) passed down to me.

It is a:
1998 Chevy Silverado C1500 Extend Cab
5.0 Liter / 305 C.I. engine
3.78 Axle ratio
4 speed Automatic Transmission.

The Owners Manual and Stickers on the truck show a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 6,200 lbs. Certified Curb Weight is 4,680 lbs. but neither mention the GCVWR.

I'm considering a travel/camper trailer but don't want to over load the truck. That's my reason for trying to find the GCVWR set by GM.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Bob

St. George, UT.
Old July 12th, 2020, 7:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 269 Likes on 234 Posts

Which stickers are you looking at? There’s 1 on the driver door jamb but there’s also 1 in the glove box. Also in the glove box should be the RPO sticker - I’m not sure which code it is, but there’s plenty of sites available that define them.

That said, most 2wd trucks of this era were rated to tow about 7,000 pounds.
Old July 12th, 2020, 8:39 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Gumby22
Which stickers are you looking at? There’s 1 on the driver door jamb but there’s also 1 in the glove box. Also in the glove box should be the RPO sticker - I’m not sure which code it is, but there’s plenty of sites available that define them.

That said, most 2wd trucks of this era were rated to tow about 7,000 pounds.
Mr. Gumby,

Thanks for responding! I first looked at the door sticker. It mentions the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. Unfortunately for me, it doesn't mention the Gross COMBINED VEHICLE Weight Rating.

Interesting you mentioned the RPO Codes. Funny (or Sad depending on your point of view)........story about that sticker. I called the local Chevy dealership Service Department and asked for their help in identifying the Axle ratio on my truck. I was hoping they could use the VIN to identify it. After a couple minutes of searching the 'service guy' told me my truck was 'too old' and Chevy didn't keep records 'clear back to 1998'. I asked him if there was any other way I might be able to identify my axle ratio. "Call NAPA" was his response. End of conversation.

I then called Chevrolet Corporate and had basically an identical conversation with them. They did offer to pull up a "Build Sheet" on the truck that would tell me my axle ratio but there would of course be a $50 charge for that "service"!!

I began to scour the internet and while I could never find a direct answer to my question, I did learn about "RPO Codes". I found that sticker in my glove box and found an internet site that explained what each of the RPO Codes meant. With those two pieces of info I was able to produce my own complete "Build Sheet" without having to pay Chevrolet one penny!

That "Build Sheet" did identify my axle ratio (3.78 by the way) unfortunately it did not answer my question re: the GCVWR.

What amazed me most was I specifically asked both the dealer and Chevrolet it, since they didn't have the information I needed, if there was ANY OTHER WAY to get it. Both either didn't want to take a few minutes to explain RPO Codes to me or even though they deal with these vehicle daily, they know nothing of the existence or meaning of the RPO Codes in the glove box themselves.

Either way, I was totally underwhelmed by the lack of Customer Service provided by either the dealership or the company.

My search for GCVWR will continue. I know it's available on the door sticker of newer vehicles, but not trucks like mine which it has been explained to me is "too old"!

Thanks again for taking time to respond!!!

bob
Old July 12th, 2020, 10:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 269 Likes on 234 Posts

It doesn’t surprise me that’s the response you got - it doesn’t seem that long ago but now it’s a 22 year old truck - and unfortunately no one’s interested in helping someone if they can’t make money doing it. It’s sad but true.

A little googling came up with this result for the build sheet - hopefully it’s just that easy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Corvette/co...sheet_from_gm/
Old July 13th, 2020, 7:22 AM
CF Beginner

It doesn’t surprise me that’s the response you got - it doesn’t seem that long ago but now it’s a 22 year old truck - and unfortunately no one’s interested in helping someone if they can’t make money doing it. It’s sad but true.

A little googling came up with this result for the build sheet - hopefully it’s just that easy.

I guess we'll find out. I just emailed a request according the the instructions provided.

I'll let you know if I receive any response.

Thanks!!
Old July 13th, 2020, 9:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

a 1998 vehicle is probably not on the gm vis system as computer service info started in the 2000's. If its not on gm vis the dealership level personnel can't do it. the link appears to be a gm employee with vis access

Last edited by tech2; July 13th, 2020 at 9:09 AM.
Old July 13th, 2020, 9:31 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
a 1998 vehicle is probably not on the gm vis system as computer service info started in the 2000's. If its not on gm vis the dealership level personnel can't do it. the link appears to be a gm employee with vis access
I understand, just disappointed they couldn't/wouldn't help me using the RPO Codes. Oh well...........................
Old July 13th, 2020, 11:16 AM
CF Beginner

OK.............here's the response I received to my inquiry:

"Thank you for contacting us. Unfortunately, due to the age of your vehicle, we would be unable to provide you a build sheet. However, if you visit GM Media Archiveand follow the instructions listed, you should be able to gather those details. We hope this helps! If you have any other questions or concerns in the future, please let us know.

Thank you and have a great day,"

I follow the link they provided and found that virtually any information provided there carries a $50 fee.

Old July 13th, 2020, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

pretty sure the rpo codes won't give you a gcvwr. the build sheet might; but there isn't an individual rpo code for gcvwr. the axle code will display an axle rating but each rpo code is for a specific component on the vehicle not the build as a whole.

Last edited by tech2; July 13th, 2020 at 12:35 PM.
Old July 13th, 2020, 12:34 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
pretty sure the rpo codes won't give you a gcvwr...maybe a gvwr or axle rating.

you are correct. they told me nothing about the GCVWR but did answer my question about the axle ratio. I 'decoded' the entire list just in case i need other info in the future.