Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

How to remove brush grille guard from OBS?

Search this Thread

Old June 16th, 2023, 6:53 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove brush grille guard from OBS?

How do I remove a brush guard from an OBS? I just mean the very common model that's out there.

There's one at a local you pull parts yard I'd like to grab, but I couldn't tell if it's just removing a few bolts on each side or if it goes back further.
Old June 21st, 2023, 12:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 266 Likes on 232 Posts

It just depends on the type of guard used. I’m not saying they don’t exist but I’ve never seen one that uses additional brackets further back on the frame.

Some models will mount using the existing bumper to frame bolts and others require drilling holes in the bumper and using carriage bolts.

In either case, expect a fight trying to remove it as the bolts are likely seized. Have some penetrating oil, a breaker bar and cheater ready.

If you’re lucky, they’ll just break off and you can get new bolts at a hardware store.
Old June 21st, 2023, 6:29 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gumby22
It just depends on the type of guard used. I’m not saying they don’t exist but I’ve never seen one that uses additional brackets further back on the frame.

Some models will mount using the existing bumper to frame bolts and others require drilling holes in the bumper and using carriage bolts.

In either case, expect a fight trying to remove it as the bolts are likely seized. Have some penetrating oil, a breaker bar and cheater ready.

If you’re lucky, they’ll just break off and you can get new bolts at a hardware store.
Ahh, this might explain why at $30/each there are a few unclaimed at the yard!

I have a breaker bar, but what is this cheater you refer to?

Old June 22nd, 2023, 7:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 266 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by 89Vandura
Ahh, this might explain why at $30/each there are a few unclaimed at the yard!

I have a breaker bar, but what is this cheater you refer to?
Cheater is just a term for an extension on the handle of the breaker bar to gain more leverage. For me, the handle on my floor Jack works well.

I wouldn’t expect you’ll actually need a cheater but sometimes bolts are very stubborn.