Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Looking for a few suggestions

Search this Thread

Old March 8th, 2019, 12:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a few suggestions

1995 K1500
202,000 Miles

So about a week ago I lost my 3rd and 4th gear. Feels like slipping to me, it hits 30-40 mph and just revs, no movement, like it's in neutral.

I took it to a reputable shop in town, and they think the transmission is out. I believe them, but I don't want to give up on this just yet, as I don't plan on having this truck long enough for a rebuild.

I decided to try replacing the shift solenoids, and when I pulled the pan, everything looks fine. No burnt fluid or metal shavings. I have to wait until tonight, Napa didn't have the correct solenoid yesterday, but I'm sitting at work just thinking about this. What are the chances that I am correct about the solenoids? If it's not the solenoids, is there anything else I should look for?

Thank you!
Old March 8th, 2019, 12:38 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

that would be a 4l60e. i would check the main connection. you can find the 4l60e manual here http://www.mediafire.com/download/a0...air_Manual.pdf
Old March 8th, 2019, 1:02 PM
CF Beginner

That download is broken, but I believe I found what you are talking about through google. What exactly am I checking for?
Old March 8th, 2019, 1:39 PM
I'm here for the party

check to see if theres a trouble shooting section. im not too familiar with the 4l60e but i think gears 1-2 are pretty much there for take off but 3-4 the ecm needs other into like speed/tps and rpms.
Old March 8th, 2019, 1:40 PM
I'm here for the party

PDF of Square Schematics & GM Training Manuals - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network this was the link. not sure if you can find the info there its towards the bottom of the post
Old March 8th, 2019, 1:50 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks, this is a good place to start!
Old March 8th, 2019, 8:09 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Son has the same transmission in his '07 Avalanche. About a year ago he had similar symptoms. Ended up getting it rebuilt for about $1500. Chevy dealer wanted $3500 to install a remanufactured transmission.

Good luck!
Old March 8th, 2019, 10:47 PM
I'm here for the party

should be a 4l65e in the 07 around 200 they phased out the 4l60e for the 4l65. theyre very similar and identical but not the same
Old October 25th, 2021, 12:24 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If the link is broken go to you tube and type in: "4L60e transmission, no 3rd or 4th Gear, dissassembly and how to diagnose the problem,"
I assume variations of this transmission and newer versions are very similar, although might have foibles pecuiar to each model, but principles in transmissions are like different engines built by different auto manufacturers, just different designs as to how they build their design to work. That's why you study each one to understand their peculiarities. Just puzzles to me. Some folks can't understand how things work, others give up, but it is not beyond the average persons intelligence to fix most anything on a car, or understand the theory , IF they have an interest to study the fundimentals, and terms of the language used . Same in politics or medicine , or sports, they all have their languages . We all screw up at times, but we never give up.
Old October 25th, 2021, 12:39 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I try NOT to just start replacing solenoids of sensors without testing them according to how they are tested, to see if they are bad. That is why people spend too much on fixing was isn't broken. Especially in electrical problems. Ohmeters, and even oscilloscopes are sometimes necessary in order to diagnose stuff that is electrical. So there are videos on that subject too. I think in this case the problem might only be its dirty inside, a mechanical thing, not a sensor or solenoid , ( might have used the wrong word, but I'm referring to the electrical plug ins that make some things shift in some transmissions), electrical stuff need tested, like coils or HEI modules. I would try the additive I suggested first, just my gut feeling. Simple stuff first, then go from there. I can only point you in the right direction to figure it out , but you will.