Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

rear differential still leaking after gasket replaced

Search this Thread

Old September 26th, 2021, 3:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear differential still leaking after gasket replaced

98 k1500 suburban rear differential was leaking so I removed the cover, drained the oil, replaced the gasket, reattached the cover, & filled with gear oil. Tightened bolts to 30 lbs with torque wrench. And….still leaking. Leaking worse! What did I do wrong? Any advice, help?!?! Used

FEL-PRO Axle/Differential Gasket RDS55028-1

Old September 26th, 2021, 4:03 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by revmhall
98 k1500 suburban rear differential was leaking so I removed the cover, drained the oil, replaced the gasket, reattached the cover, & filled with gear oil. Tightened bolts to 30 lbs with torque wrench. And….still leaking. Leaking worse! What did I do wrong? Any advice, help?!?! Used

FEL-PRO Axle/Differential Gasket RDS55028-1

Did you use a full synthetic gear oil? Full synthetic oils require a viton gasket/seal. If this is the case, and I do not know that fel pro, might be your issue.
Old September 26th, 2021, 8:32 PM
CF Beginner

Default used conventional STP gear oil

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate the help. I did not use synthetic oil. Used this STP gear oil. Any other thoughts? Anyone out there think it is a bad gasket or have another recommendation?

Old September 27th, 2021, 9:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

post a pic of the leak area.
if leaking from the cover....did you clean the mounting surfaces? if from the pinion or axle seals...if the diff vent plugged?
Old September 27th, 2021, 12:24 PM
CF Beginner

Default leak pics

Thanks for the reply tech2. Here are leak pics. Seems to be coming from the bottom. I did clean the surfaces, used parts cleaner and also scraped off the old gasket remains. Seemed more like a rubbery goo than a true gasket. I read elsewhere to only scrape with a plastic tool. I did use a metal scraper and a screw driver. Did I damage the cover? If so how to remedy? Anyone think I should try Blue Devil Oil Stop? Redo the gasket with a sealant gasket maker as well?

Old September 27th, 2021, 1:23 PM
CF Monarch

Thanks for the reply tech2. Here are leak pics. Seems to be coming from the bottom. I did clean the surfaces, used parts cleaner and also scraped off the old gasket remains. Seemed more like a rubbery goo than a true gasket. I read elsewhere to only scrape with a plastic tool. I did use a metal scraper and a screw driver. Did I damage the cover? If so how to remedy? Anyone think I should try Blue Devil Oil Stop? Redo the gasket with a sealant gasket maker as well?

You don't want to scrape on a machine matted surface which is not the cover. If it's leaking around the threads, I might suggest a metal washer and O ring.
Old September 27th, 2021, 4:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

drain the diff; catch and save the fluid. clean the surface and dry wipe with brake cleaner. throw the gasket out and use rtv. I "like the right stuff"
Old September 27th, 2021, 4:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

May be an optical delusion but looks to me like the cover is bent outward where it's leaking - maybe got pried open there??
Old October 4th, 2021, 1:12 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks again to all who have replied. I am curious about the possibility of a bent cover. I don't think it is, and I know I didn't have to pry hard to separate it when I drained it the first time. I think I will drain it and use RTV...hopefully that will settle the problem. Anyone advise against replacing the cover?
Old October 4th, 2021, 1:30 PM
CF Monarch

Thanks again to all who have replied. I am curious about the possibility of a bent cover. I don't think it is, and I know I didn't have to pry hard to separate it when I drained it the first time. I think I will drain it and use RTV...hopefully that will settle the problem. Anyone advise against replacing the cover?
Place to cover on a flat surface, sets flat it's good.

Quick Reply: rear differential still leaking after gasket replaced