Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Save a mint 93 K1500 from being put out to pasture!

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2019, 1:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Save a mint 93 K1500 from being put out to pasture!

Hi all obs C/K gurus,

My grandpa left me a pristine 93 k1500 suburban with less than 100k a few years ago, it has been nothing but problems ever since, and now has finally duped me. Any help would be appreciated!

WHAT: I rebuilt the throttle body after the truck developed a stalling problem upon acceleration (was not the fuel filter). This was the only problem at the time. I went to start it after reassembly and the starter would engage but not turn the engine over. I put a charger on the battery and tried again, still the same. I had the battery tested, replaced the starter, replaced the battery cables, checked all fuses, etc. Even the new starter will only engage and not spin. It almost acts as if the engine is frozen. I did get a couple labored cranks on one attempt so I know it is not actually stuck. If anyone knows of any possible causes of this and can save me from putting down a suburban still in its prime I would greatly appreciate the help! Thanks!

-Chevy
-1993 K1500 Suburban
-4WD

Recently replaced (all Delco parts):
ICM
Distributor
Idle Air Control Valve
EGR
MAP sensor
Starter
Batt Cables
Alternator
Throttle Body (rebuild)
--Fuel Pressure regulator
Ignition Switch
Fuel pump
Probably more stuff I'm forgetting. Obviously all these don't apply to this situation, just trying to paint as complete a picture as I can. Thanks again!

Old May 27th, 2019, 2:13 PM
CF Beginner

Default Save a mint 93 K1500 from being put out to pasture!

Hi all C/K gurus,

I've got a 1993 K1500 with just 130k that has been given me nothing but issues and has finally got me duped.

What:
After rebuilding the throttle body for a stalling problem I reinstalled and went to start. It turned over a couple times that acted like the battery was dead. I charged the battery and tried again.. starter engaged but would not turn the engine over. I had the battery tested, was good, I replaced the starter and battery cables, still bad. Checked all fuses and connections, all apparently good. I don't know what else it could be. If anyone has any insight on what to do next other than buy a new truck I would greatly appreciate it!

1993 K1500 Suburban 5.7

Have recently replaced:
Fuel pump
Fuel filter
Fuel pressure regulator
Distributor/ICM
Alternator
Idle air control valve
MAP sensor
EGR
Ignition Switch
Starter
Battery Cables
More stuff I'm probably forgetting... all don't apply here, just trying to paint a fuller picture. Thanks again and I hope you're all having a memorial day weekend!

Apologies if this is a duplicate, it doesn't seem as though my first attempt posted.
Old May 27th, 2019, 4:49 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

if i understand you right, you replaced both battery cables?
did you clean the contacts where the grounds attach?
have you remove all plugs and tried it?
Old May 27th, 2019, 5:34 PM
CF Beginner

Correct,I'll go pull the plugs and give it a spin and update, thanks for the response!
Old May 27th, 2019, 6:53 PM
CF Beginner

Ok, so pulled all the plugs and the furthest aft cylinder on the passenger side just dumped gas. The 3rd one back on pass side also had a little bit of liquid on it. Dont know how that happened. Spins over now. Should I be concerned it did this or just throw it back together and assume its fixed?
Old May 27th, 2019, 7:18 PM
CF Beginner

Put the plugs back in and tried again, hydrolocked the same cylinder again. Bad injector??
Old May 27th, 2019, 8:14 PM
CF Beginner

Another possibility:
I said I rebuilt the throttle body for rough idle and sputtering on acceleration. Could it be a bad head gasket? Coolant doesn't look super low and oil isn't especially milky. Doubt a bad gasket could dump as much coolant into the cylinder as the amount of fluid coming out of the cylinder when I remove the plug (probably 1-2 cups of fluid). Just a thought.
Old May 27th, 2019, 8:43 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

is it coolant or gas coming out?
i would unhook the injectors take the plugs out and spin it over to try and expel all the fluid out.
Old May 28th, 2019, 5:28 PM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I don’t want to be insulting and don’t have a lot of experience on a TBI rebuilt but this seems like one of those Occam’s Razor sort of things - most likely the most obvious thing.
Before the TBI was rebuilt it started and ran. After TBI rebuild it’s hydro locking (with a lot of fluid & repeated after removing plugs, replacing?). It’s probably something messed up in TBI dumping fuel down the intake manifold - o-ring, gasket, something out of place, failed, etc. I don’t know internal design of intake manifold but I imagine if you pour liquid down one plane or the other it would likely not uniformly drop into all cylinders. So I wouldn’t be surprised it’s a single cylinder getting the fuel.
Unless you find it’s not fuel as Irish asked about - then I’d think I’d open up the TBI again. Good luck- I hate it when I fix something and find I still have a problem.
Old May 28th, 2019, 8:10 PM
CF Beginner

@Sabino56 , very likely. First attempt at a tbi rebuild. Thanks for the thoughtful response. @Irish_alley , repeated attempts result in the same outcome. My guess is that I did something on the throttle body wrong and now gas is coming in straight through the lines and is not being held back by the TBI assembly like Sabino said. You keyed me into looking into fluid trapped into the cylinders, thanks for that! Gonna go inspect again for anything obvious and then probably accept defeat and take it in (for shame). Thanks guys, if I ever see ya at the bar I'll buy you a round. Cheers!