Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Sticky Throttle

Search this Thread

Old July 25th, 2020, 5:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticky Throttle

I recently did a head gasket job on my parents 96 1500 5.7l Vortec. All went extremely well and it was a easy job to do (this is coming from a Land Rover guy so it's nice to take a break and work on something else)! Kinda want to swap one of these into my old Land Rover.

The truck starts up and runs nice and smooth! But I have a few odd problems.

1.) Sometimes when they go to start the vehicle the turnover time is EXTREMELY slow. I'm not talking about the length of turnover until it fires, but rather the movement of the gears. Example: if normal starter sound is "wuh-wuh-wuh-wuh-wuh", then odd starter is "wuh-----wuh-------wuh------wuh". Turn key to OFF then try again and it fires right up like normal.

2.) Fuel gauge is ALWAYS over the full mark. if truck is off, the level goes below Full, but once the key is turned to the ON position, it shoots up. I've checked fuses and connection and nothing is broken or unplugged (unless I'm just missing something).

3.) The throttle is sticky when truck is running which makes it hard to get a smooth start from stop. This is only the case when the vehicle is running. When off, it moves like it should. Even at the intake, I can feel the stick when moving throttle plate by hand. Doesn't seem to affect driving down the road. Just the initial takeoff. I'm assuming this is just from gunk build up after being exposed and not running for a couple weeks. Haven't had time to clean it though.

4.) when moving the throttle by hand, I can hear a noticeable CLUNK somewhere at the back bottom of the engine. I'm assuming this has something to do with the kickdown cable. It's only noticeable if I move it fast. Is this normal? I've never noticed it before, then again, I've never had to move the throttle by hand on this truck until now.

It's just their farm truck, not their daily so it doesn't need to be perfect. But, I'm a perfection with my engines, so I want it as close as possible. I look forward to the input ya'll have! Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Mcdoof; July 25th, 2020 at 5:17 PM.
Old July 26th, 2020, 12:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 266 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcdoof
I recently did a head gasket job on my parents 96 1500 5.7l Vortec. All went extremely well and it was a easy job to do (this is coming from a Land Rover guy so it's nice to take a break and work on something else)! Kinda want to swap one of these into my old Land Rover.

The truck starts up and runs nice and smooth! But I have a few odd problems.

1.) Sometimes when they go to start the vehicle the turnover time is EXTREMELY slow. I'm not talking about the length of turnover until it fires, but rather the movement of the gears. Example: if normal starter sound is "wuh-wuh-wuh-wuh-wuh", then odd starter is "wuh-----wuh-------wuh------wuh". Turn key to OFF then try again and it fires right up like normal.

2.) Fuel gauge is ALWAYS over the full mark. if truck is off, the level goes below Full, but once the key is turned to the ON position, it shoots up. I've checked fuses and connection and nothing is broken or unplugged (unless I'm just missing something).

3.) The throttle is sticky when truck is running which makes it hard to get a smooth start from stop. This is only the case when the vehicle is running. When off, it moves like it should. Even at the intake, I can feel the stick when moving throttle plate by hand. Doesn't seem to affect driving down the road. Just the initial takeoff. I'm assuming this is just from gunk build up after being exposed and not running for a couple weeks. Haven't had time to clean it though.

4.) when moving the throttle by hand, I can hear a noticeable CLUNK somewhere at the back bottom of the engine. I'm assuming this has something to do with the kickdown cable. It's only noticeable if I move it fast. Is this normal? I've never noticed it before, then again, I've never had to move the throttle by hand on this truck until now.

It's just their farm truck, not their daily so it doesn't need to be perfect. But, I'm a perfection with my engines, so I want it as close as possible. I look forward to the input ya'll have! Thanks in advance!
1) Ir you’re confident the battery is good and the cable connections are tight, it’s likely the starter is at fault. If the battery is older (4 years or more), inspect the sides of the battery case for bulging - this indicates a burst cell.

2) Ensure the fuel tank is full. Remove the cluster and check resistance on pin 16, purple wire, to ground. With a full tank, it should be +/- 90 ohms - if it’s higher than 95 ohms, disconnect the fuel pump and check the circuit between the pump and cluster, then also the black/white wire at the fuel pump and ground. If either circuit is higher than 0.5 ohm, check the sender directly at the fuel pump to determine if it’s within an acceptable range. If so, repair the circuits as needed.

If the resistance of the circuit checks out, it’s a cluster issue - they can be sent for repair.

3) Disconnect the throttle cables and see if the stick goes away. If so, one of the cables is the issue. If not, and cleaning the TB doesn’t help, replace it - there’s a mechanical binding problem causing the stick and IMO not worth the hassle of trying to repair yourself.

4) Are you sure it has a kick down cable? Most of these trucks were equipped with a 4L60 or 4L80 transmission and were electronically controlled. Count the number of bolts on the transmission oil pan - 16 bolts is 4L60 and 17 is 4L80. I think the thump you’re hearing is probably the pedal in the cab.