S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

gas pedal stuck

Search this Thread

Old December 15th, 2008, 11:39 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas pedal stuck

Hi. I was driving my 1996 chevy blazer yesterday, and the gas pedal seemed to stick. Luckily I was only going about 25 mph, but it was very hard to brake and come to a stop (thought I was going to crash). I got it stopped and put in park, but it was idling very high. My husband had to "punch" the gas a few times to get it out of the high idle. This is the first time this has happened, and I was wondering if anybody had any ideas. The check engine light is not on currently, but does go on and off every so often.
Old December 16th, 2008, 7:35 AM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: gas pedal stuck

You should remove the throttle cable from the t-body and move the throttle linkage at the t-body. If it still feels sticky clean inside t-body and throttle plates with carburator cleaner. If it does not feel sticky move the gas pedal and see it is binding. You will most likely find cleaning throttle body will take care of problem
Old January 8th, 2009, 12:57 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: gas pedal stuck

I had this happen to me two months ago. The Throttle blade has a diffuser pop riveted to its underside. It was coming loose and getting sucked into the throttle body causing the Throttle to do what you are describing. My dealer removed it and told me he had seen cases where the diffusers had been sucked into the intake manifold. The diffuser is a "Murray" part, a name I give for all of the labels that are plastered over it seems like everything these days telling the consumer, Murray, to be cautious of doing things like operating their toaster in the bath tub ect. In the case of the diffuser, it was put in the slow the throttle response making it easier to drive in adverse conditions by some one who is a Murray type and needs such restrictions so they don’t get themselves in trouble like using the toaster in the bath tub. I did some research online and found out that the removal of the diffuser is a common hot rodders trick, and I must admit the trucks part throttle response has GREATLY improved; it’s a win win. Remove the Black hose that says Vortec from the throttle body, it just pulls right off. Grab the throttle and open it all the way and you will see the diffuser, a silver semi circle shaped piece under the blade. It will probably be loose if you grab it with your fingers. If that is the case either take the truck to your dealer and have them remove it, or grab it with a pair of pliers and remove it yourself. If you do it yourself be sure you don’t drop anything into the intake manifold, and make sure the two rivets holding it on stay in place on the throttle blade or else the engine will idle a little fast. You will notice the difference as soon as you drive the truck, it will feel a lot less sluggish from a stand still and when passing.
Old January 17th, 2009, 4:33 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

The diffuser is there for a reason. I bet you didn't see any improvement in gas mileage...
Old February 6th, 2009, 2:41 PM
CF Beginner

No, there was no change in gas consumption, however considering the WAY improved throttle response (and my naturaly taking advantage of it) in a way it could be thought of as improved. I read the reason for it being installed was the throttle body is too large and consequently hard to modulate just off idle. I can say it did take a little getting used to at first but the advantage seemed worth the slight learning curve. What have you learned about the reason for it being there?

2001 2dr 4wd 5 speed Blazer
1996 6 speed Z28
2006 500 cc Arctic Cat
Old August 2nd, 2019, 9:14 AM
CF Beginner

Default Chevy g20 gas pedal stuck

Originally Posted by mjensen
Hi. I was driving my 1996 chevy blazer yesterday, and the gas pedal seemed to stick. Luckily I was only going about 25 mph, but it was very hard to brake and come to a stop (thought I was going to crash). I got it stopped and put in park, but it was idling very high. My husband had to "punch" the gas a few times to get it out of the high idle. This is the first time this has happened, and I was wondering if anybody had any ideas. The check engine light is not on currently, but does go on and off every so often.

Same thing happened with my chevy g20. I started the van and as soon as I put it in reverse, it just took off. My brakes was not working not even emergency brake would stop the van. Felt like I was in a life size remote control car. I had to put it in park and when I did that you can hear the engine revving hard. This was unbelievable. By the grace of GOD, I was not injured.
View this post on Instagram
Click to see video. When I finally calmed down, I went back to the van and seen the gas pedal pressed and stuck to floor. The tow truck guy had to pull the van gas pedal up.
View this post on Instagram