Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

06 Silverado 1500 4.3 WT - possible to ad OEM cruise

Search this Thread

Old November 10th, 2021, 4:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Silverado 1500 4.3 WT - possible to ad OEM cruise

Just purchased an '06 Silverado 1500 Reg Cab 2WD WT with the 4.3 V6, only 64K miles. It does not have cruise control. Is it possible to add cruise control using OEM parts? I have read other places where it is possible to do using an OEM stalk and a cruise control module from a 2000+ Blazer/etc. Plug-and-play. Plugs are supposed to already be there. I haven't had the opportunity to check this out yet. Seems too good to be true, but many responses indicating it really is that simple.

The problem is that I don't want to spend $400+ on a cruise module. Plus, why are the '06 modules listed as discontinued (and evidently extinct since I can't seem to find one ANYWHERE)?

Would really like to add cruise, but do not want to go the aftermarket route.

Any help/assistance/guidance/words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
Old November 13th, 2021, 1:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 269 Likes on 234 Posts

If you’re still needing answers…

The cruise module mounts on the firewall, near the brake booster, so if you find a 10 pin connector in that area that’s not plugged in to anything, adding cruise will be a relatively simple process. However if there’s no connector, not only will you have to run the necessary wiring, but you’ll also need to have the PCM programmed for cruise control or replace it with one that came out of a truck that already had cruise, in which case you’ll need to program the replacement PCM for your truck.

You might be able to install just a new column switch assembly that has the CC switches, as opposed to replacing the entire column, but that will depend on if the wiring for the column switch is already there. Typically the wiring is there and it’s just the switch that’s different but that’s not a given. You’ll have to remove the column shrouds to verify.

The reason for the difficulty in locating an OEM cruise module is because starting in 2007, GM introduced the GMT 900 design and with it, fully electronic throttle bodies that didn’t require an external module/servo for cruise control. With such design changes, manufacturers often distribute existing parts until they’re gone and cease any further production.

The cruise modules for the GMT 800 trucks have known problems with moisture intrusion causing servo motor and circuit board failure, so it didn’t take long for the remaining good modules to get used up. However there’s also remanufactured units and repair services available, so if you can get a hold of a cruise module that’s fully in tact, you can have it repaired. Cost will depend on the service provider and what the module requires for repair.

The first step is to verify the wiring for the module and switch are present because that will determine how much work the conversion will require.

In addition to the parts you already listed, you’ll also need a throttle body lever that’s equipped for 2 cables, although it would be much easier to just replace the throttle body assembly.

Your best chance of sourcing all the parts you’ll need is a pull-your-own-parts salvage yard as you’ll be able to strip them off one or two trucks that already have them.
Old November 13th, 2021, 5:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

did it on my 2000lt pickup. bought the cruise module at picknpull for $35...wiring was there...screwed the module to the firewall and plugged it in ...worked with no programming required.
my 2000 was throttle cable....make sure yours in not drive by wire. If drive by wire....most likely all it needs is programming from the dealer.
Old November 16th, 2021, 4:29 PM
CF Beginner

Gumby22,

Thank you for the information. This is exactly the type of detailed info I was hoping for, and you nailed it!

Thank you!
Old November 16th, 2021, 4:31 PM
CF Beginner

Tech2,
More good info. Mine is not drive-by-wire; it is cable-controlled. Thanks,