Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2004 Silverado won’t start

Search this Thread

Old August 15th, 2019, 1:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Silverado won’t start

Truck is an ‘04 Silverado 1500 2wd. Several months back, the truck started acting up....intermittently would not start and acted as if the brakes were on all the time while driven. Eventually would not start at all and I had it taken to mechanic. Tranny was rebuilt. New computer. New ignition switch. Now.......I’ve been going without AC since May because when the blower motor is plugged up, truck won’t start after a random period of driving with AC. I replaced the AC blower motor resistor/pigtail thinking that a burnt plug end may be somehow affecting the operation. After replacement, I drove the truck to work and back 2 days with normal AC operation and running/driving. Then when I tried to start it the next day, it will not crank. Battery is fully charged. All fuses are good. Dash lights come on. Will not even crank. Help.
Old August 15th, 2019, 7:29 PM
CF Beginner

The fact that all the lights turn on but it wont crank makes me think somehow something happened to the starter or wiring, have you checked the wires to the starter? Checked grounds? Maybe something jiggled loose on your last trip

Last edited by 333JCITB333; August 15th, 2019 at 7:30 PM. Reason: spelling corrections
Old August 15th, 2019, 9:18 PM
CF Beginner

[QUOTE=333JCITB333;433582]The fact that all the lights turn on but it wont crank makes me think somehow something happened to the starter or wiring, have you checked the wires to the starter? Checked grounds? Maybe something jiggled loose on your

Thanks for the reply. I haven’t checked starter as of yet but I will do that. Thing is, it happened about a month ago after I had the AC plugged in.....Drove home with the AC on and it began acting strange again while driving-like the e brake was on or something. When I pulled in my driveway and shut it off, it wouldn’t start again. Wouldn’t even crank. I un-plugged the AC and after sitting for about an hour, it fired right up. Then the other day, I replaced the resistor and tried again. Drive it for 2 days and it seemed fine. Next morning, it would not start. Something about the AC being hooked up is messing with the ignition/starting system. I’m hoping that someone out there has had the same issue. I’ve watched a bunch of YouTube vids and haven’t run across one yet dealing with this particular problem.
Old September 21st, 2019, 9:15 AM
CF Beginner

My dash lights lit up when turning the key but wouldn't crank. Solution was the Starter relay in the under hood fuse box. Easy test is to pull it and replace with the Park LP relay which is beside it. These are the same relay.
Old March 20th, 2022, 10:09 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by LegendLaguna
Truck is an ‘04 Silverado 1500 2wd. Several months back, the truck started acting up....intermittently would not start and acted as if the brakes were on all the time while driven. Eventually would not start at all and I had it taken to mechanic. Tranny was rebuilt. New computer. New ignition switch. Now.......I’ve been going without AC since May because when the blower motor is plugged up, truck won’t start after a random period of driving with AC. I replaced the AC blower motor resistor/pigtail thinking that a burnt plug end may be somehow affecting the operation. After replacement, I drove the truck to work and back 2 days with normal AC operation and running/driving. Then when I tried to start it the next day, it will not crank. Battery is fully charged. All fuses are good. Dash lights come on. Will not even crank. Help.

Hey guys simple diagnostic. No crank no start.

Make sure your check engine icon is illuminated when key is on in run position. If it is not, rig a ground wire to your PCM aluminum housing the icon should come on and it should crank and start.

I see a lot of hitting a bump or pot hole and truck shuts off or intermittent issues to a total fail.

It could be your grounds failing. This is not a permanent fix but if the your grounds are failing then that will get you started in the right direction and then you can start inspecting chassis grounds back to battery.