Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

AC problems

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2020, 9:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AC problems

Ac is charged and it’s blowing hot air in the cab checked all the actuators and they are working fine AC lines are ice cold suction line is hot. I don’t know what to look for next
Old June 1st, 2020, 2:26 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucash95
Ac is charged and it’s blowing hot air in the cab checked all the actuators and they are working fine AC lines are ice cold suction line is hot. I don’t know what to look for next
Was any work done to it ? Do you have a high and low side gauge set available?
The following users liked this post:
Lucash95 (June 1st, 2020)
Old June 1st, 2020, 3:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Do you have "Dual Control", A/C, on the dash, in the passenger compartment ? My 2004 needed re-initialization, in order to get the A/C system to reset.

Sometimes it's as easy as disconnecting the battery, and reconnecting it, after 20 minutes, which will cause a re-boot of the system. If that doesn't work, you may have to isolate the
fuses for the A/C, disconnect, and re-connect them.

What's happening is the heater core isn't shunting properly, and the automatic solenoid which closes the lines from the radiator to the heater core isn't closing. Therefore you are getting heat, when you should be getting A/C.

I finally got tired of constantly re-initializing the heater core shutoff, and installed a ball valve in the 3/4 heater hose feeding the heater core from the water pump. This has been a lo-tech, but inexpensive and permanent solution to the problem. Of course, you would then have to manually open the valve, for heat, in the wintertime, and close it again, for A/C, in the summer.

But that's just what happened to my system, and what I did, to restore A/C function.
The following 2 users liked this post by therewolf:
Lucash95 (June 1st, 2020), oilcanhenry (June 1st, 2020)
Old June 1st, 2020, 7:48 PM
CF Beginner

My truck has the dual climate control for driver and passenger but it’s not the digital one it’s the one you slide up and down but it’s almost like something is plugged cause the fan works and I can feel a temperature difference between the hot and cold setting but when I turn the AC on I can hear the compressor kick on and the clutch spins but not continuously only when it sounds likes it pushing Freon but like I said the lines are cold it’s just not pushing through to the cab. I’ll try resetting it like you said thanks for the advice 👍🏻
therewolf (June 4th, 2020)
Old June 1st, 2020, 7:49 PM
CF Beginner

And no work was done to it and I do not have gauges available
Old June 1st, 2020, 11:35 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucash95
And no work was done to it and I do not have gauges available
What the other folks said may well be true and even putting a valve in the heater line isnt a bad idea. That's why I hang on to my trusty 1998 K-1500 Chevy pickup. In all these years, I've never had to work on my own A/C system...and I was training in auto A/C tech many years ago. Go figure!

Yeah, I'm an OG, but an old-dog can learn new tricks.
Old June 1st, 2020, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

sounds like a temp blend door problem. the dual system will have 2 temp blend doors. move the temp controls and confirm that the actuators for the blend doors are moving. the hvac system has full diagnostic dtc capabilities. code can be read with a scan tool that accesses body codes.
therewolf (June 4th, 2020)