Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

C2500 crank no start

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2018, 9:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C2500 crank no start

Hello, I'm working on a 2000 Chevy C2500 pick up.

I have fuel pressure in the 55 PSI range. I watch it awhile but not sure when it should drop off. When I turn the key off?
I have spark. I am checking the spark with an inline see thru spark tester. It sparks orange when I turn the key.

It would have trouble starting from time to time. Cranking, but not starting. I keep the battery charged. I will let it set for a week and then no start.

I'm not getting any trouble codes with my tractor supply DTC scanner. It is a $20 scanner.

I was thinking Mass air flow sensor, or crank position sensor, or a cam shaft sensor?

Thanks for any advice,

Steve

Last edited by Cornbread9; February 28th, 2018 at 9:17 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2018, 2:05 PM
CF Beginner

Fuel pressure is always good. In the 50's.

Installed new crank shaft sensor, no change.

This sensor is not behind the starter fyi. Bottom front beside the belt. I thought I tested the resistance correctly showing it was bad, but the new one does the same.

Still no codes, even when I unplugg MAF sensor and try to start. You would think it would throw a code.

continues to crank and not start
Old March 4th, 2018, 9:09 PM
CF Beginner

you can buy a spray can to spray the mass and anything around it and will not hurt them...just ask for the mass clearing spray.for just that
Old March 5th, 2018, 6:35 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

If the spark is orange, that's probably your issue. Ignition system isn't throwing enough spark.
Old March 5th, 2018, 7:50 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Try spraying some starter fluid into the throttle body. If it runs for a few seconds then you will know if it is a fuel issue or not.
Old March 8th, 2018, 11:42 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I'd be concerned with the spark color, you want a nice bright white/blue spark, orange is weak.

Also don't quite rule out you got a bum replacement part... There isn't a parts store in business (around here) that hasn't sent me out the door with a defective out of the box part.
Old March 12th, 2018, 9:32 PM
CF Beginner

I tried the inline spark tester again on a plug wire and it is an orange spark. I tried sparking the coil wire to ground and it had a blue and orange spark. I had the cap and rotor replaced a year ago and the distributor makes a little noise when it turns. When the truck is running. Maybe the distributor is dampening the spark? I will try the starter fluid in the intake first. I have been reluctant to do that as I heard it could crack a head. Will let you know.
Old March 16th, 2018, 5:18 PM
CF Beginner

So I tried the starter fluid and it was the same crank no start condition. I do have good fuel pressure though. The distributor had always had a rhythmic squeal as it turned since I had my cap and rotor replaced. I replaced it with a new CARQUEST distributor complete. While doing that I noticed that a wire going to the coil connector had been chewed a little so I replaced the connector. The connector was half the price of the distributor. Lol. Anyway, I cranked it and a pop and white smoke came out of the engine bay. Not sure from where, but I think it was fuel/smoke blowing back up to intake area. Maybe things were flooded in the plug area? Cranked it again and same no start situation. Put the inline spark tester back on and it has spark like before, orange in the tester. I think that thing only shows orange. I have fuel and spark and no crank. In summary, no trouble codes, new distributor, new crank shaft sensor, one year old plugs and wires, has fuel, has spark, no start.
Old March 16th, 2018, 5:46 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

You need to look at ignition. Plugs are ? When did this condition start? Did you change spark plugs, and what did you use? Orange spark is not what you want to see, blue/white is what you want.
Old March 17th, 2018, 5:04 PM
CF Beginner

I pulled the plugs which are maybe a year old and have 500 miles on them. They are the Autolite Iridium XP 605. I check the number and it was the one that was called for through Advance Auto site. They had some gas on them and were black. I cleaned them up with a wire brush and wiped them down good. The gap was within a few thousandth. So I put them back in clean and turned the key. Boom! There has been a small explosion sound in the valve cover area. It puffs some smoke out as it blows a hose off the valve cover. I think it had bad spark and dirty plugs. I put the distributor in and it has been popping/booming since the new distributor. I did set the pulley mark to top dead center mark underneath and lined the marks up on the distributor when installing. I checked all of the plug wires with a diagram. They are right. So after the first crank and boom, it is back to the crank no start. I might have to call the guy to come get it before I blow the truck up. LOL

Last edited by Cornbread9; March 17th, 2018 at 5:07 PM.