Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Coolant Leak, White Smoke, Misfiring Cylinders

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2022, 2:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Coolant Leak, White Smoke, Misfiring Cylinders

Hello all,

I'm writing in to get to the bottom of an issue I've been trying to solve for a while now. I drive a 2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 Standard Cab with the Vortec V8 5.3L Engine (245,000 mi). For about a year or so I've been dealing with lifter noise that cropped up seemingly randomly and around the same time that I started experiencing heavy coolant leaks (no noticeable leakage, just lowered coolant levels in the reserve) requiring that I top it off about once a week. With regards to the lifter noise, I know that that has probably little to do with the bigger issue, but I do change the oil regularly, just haven't tried any oil cleaners yet. Fast forward to a few weeks ago, and I send my truck to the shop to figure out the coolant issue. They found that the upper hose was spewing when pressurized and so they replaced it and apparently that was that. I would have replaced the hose myself had I known that was the problem, but I never got an indication that it was leaking. Coolant levels seemed to be fine after a couple weeks, but I'm noticing now that it IS actually still draining just much slower. This leads me to the latest problem. I cranked my truck one day to a check engine light and billowing white smoke on startup out the tailpipe (doesn't smell sweet like coolant, but like gas). Bad news, but I needed to do another job I was working on which was a oil pressure sensor replacement since mine has gone squirrelly. So as a quick check I pop in the diagnostic tool and I get a GM P0300, or "Misfiring Cylinders" code. All of this stuff seems to have come to a head, and after careful research, It appears I might have a cracked head gasket / cylinder / block. And if that is the case, it looks like I might be up the creek without a paddle. Another important note is that when I replaced the oil a week ago, I did not notice any milky oil that looked like coolant had gotten in, but this problem could have transpired after that change.

This is my first post on a forum, wanted to see what other experts had to say. If I'm looking at a new engine then I guess that's just the way she goes. Thanks y'all!